Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

MPCs in Comsol

Manu Goiogana Bengoetxea

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am a quite new user in Comsol and I have a doubt about the Multi-Point Constraint elements. I would like to know whether Comsol has anything similar to the MPC elements (RBE3 or RBE2) of Patran.

I am doing a static calculation (stress and strain) in a hollow cylinder as you can see in the attached image. The idea is to apply a punctual force in the point that I have created in an extreme of the cylinder’s axis. In Patran, I used to create a RBE3 element to transmit this load to the affected elements (for example to the elements in the front face that you can see in red). ¿Does Comsol have anything similar to the MPC elements? If not, ¿is there any equivalent way for doing that?

Thanks a lot,

Manu

1 Reply Last Post 28.02.2013, 08:22 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.02.2013, 08:22 GMT-5
Hi

currently you have only the stiff RB "rigid connectors", you can mimic the soft RB connectors with the absolut spring or thin BC damping springs

I hope COMSOL manages to get out the complement I have heard of for the next release later this spring, then I hope they would have better equivalent RBE2-3 components.

Note that these have some nasty effects such as making the BC really "stiff"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi currently you have only the stiff RB "rigid connectors", you can mimic the soft RB connectors with the absolut spring or thin BC damping springs I hope COMSOL manages to get out the complement I have heard of for the next release later this spring, then I hope they would have better equivalent RBE2-3 components. Note that these have some nasty effects such as making the BC really "stiff" -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.