Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Automating plot exporting in Comsol on a Linux Red Hat system

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, first time posting

Our group recently set up a Linux based server node for Comsol work. As it stands, we need to define our models on a workstation or personal PC, do the meshing, then copy the file over to the server, ssh in and run comsol via commands (using putty in our case). Once it's done we copy the files back to a workstation and can then extract any data we need.

I have two issues with this arrangement:

1) My meshes tend to be quite large. Meshing is slow, then file transfer is slow. It would be nice if the meshing could be handled on the server, but leaving the model unmeshed simply causes errors. Does anyone know of a way to handle remote meshing?

2) The complete file after solving is large (slow to transfer) and slow to open on a workstation. However, I really only need to see the data from a 1D plot of a port S variable to know if it needs a closer look or not. Normally I get this data via export. Does anyone know of a way to automatically export plots or variable data remotely? My ideal case would be a command that creates a .txt file in the containing folder with my data.

Background: version 4.2a, electromagnetic wave simulations, using the -batch command on the server, looking to extract the values of emw.S11 vs frequency (~300 values)

Thanks,
Bryan

0 Replies Last Post 14.02.2013, 15:44 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bryan VanSaders

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.