Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inlet Boundary velocity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Inlet boundary velocity profile = 4*s*(1-s)*Umax

What is actually represent this equation? What is s?
What is the different between normal velocity and Umax?

2 Replies Last Post 29.06.2015, 09:55 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.02.2013, 00:59 GMT-5
Hi

if you check the doc, and the Forum you will see that "s" is a COMSOL internal variable taking the value 0 to 1 along a 2D boundary. so if you select an edge in 2D (=a boundary) and write a velocity 4*s*(1-s)*Umax you get an parabolic profile with u=0 at s=0 and s=1 (the walls intersection points) and a velocity Umax at s=0.5 the middle of the edge/boundary

This is a good starting velocity profile for FCD for a pipe or any fluid flowing between two (no-slip) walls

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you check the doc, and the Forum you will see that "s" is a COMSOL internal variable taking the value 0 to 1 along a 2D boundary. so if you select an edge in 2D (=a boundary) and write a velocity 4*s*(1-s)*Umax you get an parabolic profile with u=0 at s=0 and s=1 (the walls intersection points) and a velocity Umax at s=0.5 the middle of the edge/boundary This is a good starting velocity profile for FCD for a pipe or any fluid flowing between two (no-slip) walls -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 29.06.2015, 09:55 GMT-4
Dear Ivar

First question:
In examples I encountered
4*s*(1-s)*Umax
versus
6*s*(1-s)*Umax
As the average of s*(1-s) is 1/6, I assume 6*s*(1-s) is the best choice as it gives you U_max at s=0.5?
Or why do you propose 4*s*(1-s)?

Second question:
Why use 6*s*(1-s)*Umax
and not (-4*(s-0.5)^2+1)*Umax?
I admit, your expression is shorter, however, the velocity profile is parabolic, so of the form a*x^2 (and not a*x^2+b*x).

Third question:
I have an inlet with a symmetry plane. I select the inlet boundary to give it a velocity profile that is half of 6*s*(1-s)*Umax . But 's' always goes up to 1. Do I use 6*s/2*(1-s/2)*Umax to get half of the profile?

Thx
Dear Ivar First question: In examples I encountered 4*s*(1-s)*Umax versus 6*s*(1-s)*Umax As the average of s*(1-s) is 1/6, I assume 6*s*(1-s) is the best choice as it gives you U_max at s=0.5? Or why do you propose 4*s*(1-s)? Second question: Why use 6*s*(1-s)*Umax and not (-4*(s-0.5)^2+1)*Umax? I admit, your expression is shorter, however, the velocity profile is parabolic, so of the form a*x^2 (and not a*x^2+b*x). Third question: I have an inlet with a symmetry plane. I select the inlet boundary to give it a velocity profile that is half of 6*s*(1-s)*Umax . But 's' always goes up to 1. Do I use 6*s/2*(1-s/2)*Umax to get half of the profile? Thx

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.