Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Properties of magnetic flux in some transformer sheets

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

i´m trying to observe the magnetic flux density in a smal gap of some transformer sheets. So far building the model and getting results that are in consent with my experimental setup was not an issue, after reading half of the posts in this forum. The magntic flux density in my air gap is ~300mT wich the simulation kind of confirms. My problem lies in the distribution of the magnetic flux density inside of my transformer sheets. The right and left side have different values for the magnetic flux density. The geometrie is symmetric which should eliminate the possibility of creating a shorter route on one side.

I hope anyone got some suggestions for me how to explain this or some tweeks to eliminate it.

Best wishes,
Andreas Schneider

3 Replies Last Post 07.02.2013, 08:48 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.02.2013, 09:17 GMT-5
Hello Herr Schneider

I just looked inside your model and i have a small Question about the usage of the Multi Turn Coil Domain. Since your coil is not linear and not circular you picked the numeric Coil with the Coil Current Calculation study.

Inside the Coil Domain you have to define the Magetic Insulation bounarys, what you did. You also need to provide an Input and an Output.

You have an Input in your Model but there are no boundarys selcted. The Output is missing.

Well i wonder how you managed to solve your model. I am just asking because I also tried to use the numeric coil but failed simulating coils other then circular coils.

Greetings
Roman Brodski

Hello Herr Schneider I just looked inside your model and i have a small Question about the usage of the Multi Turn Coil Domain. Since your coil is not linear and not circular you picked the numeric Coil with the Coil Current Calculation study. Inside the Coil Domain you have to define the Magetic Insulation bounarys, what you did. You also need to provide an Input and an Output. You have an Input in your Model but there are no boundarys selcted. The Output is missing. Well i wonder how you managed to solve your model. I am just asking because I also tried to use the numeric coil but failed simulating coils other then circular coils. Greetings Roman Brodski

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.02.2013, 10:12 GMT-5
Hi Roman,

the Input and Output features together define the direction of the current flow, constraining the wires to be orthogonal to the boundary. If the coil is a closed loop it is also posible to apply a single Input feature to an internal boundary, that is if Input and Output should be on the same boundary. In my model the Input is defined as a internal boundary.
Attached is a pdf-file from COMSOL with tutorials how to use single- and multiturn coil domains, hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Andreas
Hi Roman, the Input and Output features together define the direction of the current flow, constraining the wires to be orthogonal to the boundary. If the coil is a closed loop it is also posible to apply a single Input feature to an internal boundary, that is if Input and Output should be on the same boundary. In my model the Input is defined as a internal boundary. Attached is a pdf-file from COMSOL with tutorials how to use single- and multiturn coil domains, hope it helps. Best wishes, Andreas

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.02.2013, 08:48 GMT-5
Hello Mr. Schneider

and thank you für the explanation. It was a great halp !

I just looked into your Transformater model. The first thing that made a problem was the non - linear core material. The solver took really long and after a few minutes I stopped the calculation.

I replaced the material and made a permeability mu_r = 2000. Evaluating the avarage magnetic flux density inside the core makes me think that your model is alright.

I hope it halps you a little bit.

Good Luck
Roman
Hello Mr. Schneider and thank you für the explanation. It was a great halp ! I just looked into your Transformater model. The first thing that made a problem was the non - linear core material. The solver took really long and after a few minutes I stopped the calculation. I replaced the material and made a permeability mu_r = 2000. Evaluating the avarage magnetic flux density inside the core makes me think that your model is alright. I hope it halps you a little bit. Good Luck Roman

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.