COMSOL Two-phase flow to simulate an emulsion (ethyl acetate and water)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone!

I am newbie to COMSOL (version 5.3)

I am trying to simulate the emulsion between 2 immiscible liquids under Fluid flow > Multiphase flow > Two-phase flow, Level Set > Laminar Two-phase flow, Level Set. The geometry is a cross consisting of 3 inlets and 1 outlet (final geometry 1 object = 3 domains). The materials are ethyl acetate (1 domain = horizontal inlet) and water (2 domains = vertical inlets), defining the density and dynamic viscosity of both. Wall condition: no-slip. Mesh is physics-controlled-mesh with normal element size. Study is transient with phase initiation. Under the Laminar flow branch, I define the velocity of the inlets. Under the Level set branch, I define the Level set condition for each inlet: vertical inlets (fluid 1 and fluid 2 depending on the inlet). Under the Multiphysics > Two-phase flow Level Set branch, I define the surface tension coefficient (User defined)

When I try to compute, the following error message appears:

Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged.

This happens for both 3D geometry [see attached image] and 2D geometry.

Could someone help me to determine the error? Should I try another approach? Thanks in advance!

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.