Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error Message "String index out of range: 66"

Andrew Prudil Nuclear Materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten this message in Comsol and what exactly it means (I'm using version 4.3).

I'm getting the error message when I try to run a parametric sweep. I'm using a long list of parameters I imported from a text file (11 cases and 48 parameters, total of 4249 characters). It appears to import ok but wont run. I'm assuming because too much parameter information.

For my application I'd really like to be able to use list of parameters as model inputs for different cases. Is there a way of increasing the string buffer size?

3 Replies Last Post 08.11.2012, 14:59 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.11.2012, 12:11 GMT-4
Hi

I would assume (just a guess that in your line 66 of data (or line 66 of file not sure) you have one less or more values than expected

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would assume (just a guess that in your line 66 of data (or line 66 of file not sure) you have one less or more values than expected -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.11.2012, 13:13 GMT-4
Thanks for the reply Ivar.
I dont think it can be line because there is only 48 parameters (thus no 66th line). It could refer to the 66th value or something but I can't find any errors. I previously assumed the 66 was just an error code. Can anyone confrim if the number is signficant?
Thanks for the reply Ivar. I dont think it can be line because there is only 48 parameters (thus no 66th line). It could refer to the 66th value or something but I can't find any errors. I previously assumed the 66 was just an error code. Can anyone confrim if the number is signficant?

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.11.2012, 14:59 GMT-5
Hi everyone,
I found out what my problem was. You cannot use tab-delimited input files. You must use space delimited.

The easiest way I found to make them was to save them in excel as tab-delimeted then use find and replace in notepad++ to switch tabs to spaces.

I hope this saves someone else some time.
Hi everyone, I found out what my problem was. You cannot use tab-delimited input files. You must use space delimited. The easiest way I found to make them was to save them in excel as tab-delimeted then use find and replace in notepad++ to switch tabs to spaces. I hope this saves someone else some time.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.