Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nano Optics - Single dipole near infinite interface

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to reproduce far field radiation patterns for single emitters close to an infinite dielectric interface. Namely, I place an emitter in air, in the vicinity of a glass substrate (10[nm] above). The dipole moment is oriented toward the interface.

I expect a far field angular pattern similar to the one attached (expected_behavior.jpg where they put the dipole in water instead of air). Instead I get something like the other picture (dipole_near_interface.png).

Light should be directed along the critical angle (in Air/Glass case -> 41 degrees). Instead of that, I find an extremum at around 50 degrees.

I define the dipole as a point dipole. I have PML, but I guess that have two different materials touching could be a problem here. Therefore i want to know if I am indeed limited to finite systems, or if I can model a dipole with two infinite materials .

Thanks for reading,
Jean-Christophe

ps : Model made with C.4.3

2 Replies Last Post 01.09.2014, 05:24 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.05.2013, 02:00 GMT-4
Hi, I carefully read your model but I didn't found anything wrong... But when I tried a very similar model (electric dipole in vaccum and use a spherical layer as PML) I get a error as 'NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR.' And sometimes pml can not work when there is a dipole (it's easy to see that in a 2d model). I guess that maybe related to your question and I wonder how you make it work with point dipole source and pml layer. Can you give me some advises?
Hi, I carefully read your model but I didn't found anything wrong... But when I tried a very similar model (electric dipole in vaccum and use a spherical layer as PML) I get a error as 'NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR.' And sometimes pml can not work when there is a dipole (it's easy to see that in a 2d model). I guess that maybe related to your question and I wonder how you make it work with point dipole source and pml layer. Can you give me some advises?

Posted: 10 years ago 01.09.2014, 05:24 GMT-4
Hi,

The dipole orientation in the file you uploaded is (0,0,1). A dipole pointing to the Z direction will not radiate in the Z direction. In order to get the "expected behavior" just change the dipole orientation to any (x,y,0), (1,0,0) for example.
I'm sure it's no longer relevant for you, but for other people (like me) who are looking for advice, it might help.

Nitzan
Hi, The dipole orientation in the file you uploaded is (0,0,1). A dipole pointing to the Z direction will not radiate in the Z direction. In order to get the "expected behavior" just change the dipole orientation to any (x,y,0), (1,0,0) for example. I'm sure it's no longer relevant for you, but for other people (like me) who are looking for advice, it might help. Nitzan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.