Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solid Mechanics with Heat Transfer for Stress simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

There is a cavity with pressure applied. Along with the pressure, I added theremal expansion to see stress caused by theraml expansion as well as pressure. However, whenever I add the themal expansion, my study fails with the following err. Would anyone please help me with this?

Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) Failed to find a solution. Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps returned.

3 Replies Last Post 09.02.2023, 18:11 GMT-5

Posted: 1 year ago 25.01.2023, 15:50 GMT-5

But the solid mechanis alone works fine without troubles.

But the solid mechanis alone works fine without troubles.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 30.01.2023, 02:42 GMT-5
Updated: 1 year ago 30.01.2023, 02:47 GMT-5

The problem is that your coefficent of thermal expansion is 32.5, which is many orders of magnitude too large. There is no possibility for the geometric nonlinear problem to converge with thermal strains of the order of 10,000,000%.

I think that you intended to enter alpha = 37.5e-5.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The problem is that your coefficent of thermal expansion is 32.5, which is many orders of magnitude too large. There is no possibility for the geometric nonlinear problem to converge with thermal strains of the order of 10,000,000%. I think that you intended to enter alpha = 37.5e-5.

Posted: 1 year ago 09.02.2023, 18:11 GMT-5

Thank you. That makes sense. I made that mistakes. Thank you for cathcing it.

Thank you. That makes sense. I made that mistakes. Thank you for cathcing it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.