Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrical Conductivity as a function of Electric Field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Following some technical literature on the topic of a conductivity of a material (specifically a polymer) that is based on electric field, I wish to model this in COMSOL. In case you are curious, the paper I am referring to is: "Effect of Insulation Properties on the Field Grading of Solid Dielectric DC Cable" by Boggs, et al (IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol 16, No 4, Oct 2001). I am referring to equation 1, 5,6. Basically, conductivity is based on electric field and temperature. For my model, I would like to keep the temperature constant right now. I would like to, however, make electrical conductivity anisotropic and as a function as electric field (in the X-direction and Y-direction). This "seems" easy to do, and I have already made a quick model showing this (which I have attached as well). The conductivities are defined in the Global Definitions -> Variables 1a. When I try to solve, I get an error: "Undefined value found.
- Detail: Undefined value found in the equation residual vector.
.There are 1217 degrees of freedom giving NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable mod1.V"

This error is from the fact that I have conductivity as an electric field. If I change the conductivity to being a constant, there is no problem.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
John

3 Replies Last Post 22.09.2016, 20:00 GMT-4
Nils Malm COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.09.2012, 04:26 GMT-4
Hello John,
The error message you have encountered is usually caused by a division by zero somewhere in your expressions. In particular, if your conductivity expressions cannot be evaluated when the potential is constant (electric field is zero) you will encounter this problem already in the first solver iteration if your initial condition for the potential is constant.

If you expect the electric field to be nonzero everywhere, you can try to use some approximation of the expected field as initial condition (e.g., use a solution obtained with fixed conductivity). You may also want to try modifying expressions, e.g., by adding small offsets in denominators.

best regards
Nils Malm
COMSOL AB
Hello John, The error message you have encountered is usually caused by a division by zero somewhere in your expressions. In particular, if your conductivity expressions cannot be evaluated when the potential is constant (electric field is zero) you will encounter this problem already in the first solver iteration if your initial condition for the potential is constant. If you expect the electric field to be nonzero everywhere, you can try to use some approximation of the expected field as initial condition (e.g., use a solution obtained with fixed conductivity). You may also want to try modifying expressions, e.g., by adding small offsets in denominators. best regards Nils Malm COMSOL AB

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.09.2012, 18:07 GMT-4
Thank you Nils, that seems to solve my problem!! I simply made an initial condition for potential that was non-zero and then added a very small offset in the denominator.

Regards,
John

Hello John,
The error message you have encountered is usually caused by a division by zero somewhere in your expressions. In particular, if your conductivity expressions cannot be evaluated when the potential is constant (electric field is zero) you will encounter this problem already in the first solver iteration if your initial condition for the potential is constant.

If you expect the electric field to be nonzero everywhere, you can try to use some approximation of the expected field as initial condition (e.g., use a solution obtained with fixed conductivity). You may also want to try modifying expressions, e.g., by adding small offsets in denominators.

best regards
Nils Malm
COMSOL AB

Thank you Nils, that seems to solve my problem!! I simply made an initial condition for potential that was non-zero and then added a very small offset in the denominator. Regards, John [QUOTE] Hello John, The error message you have encountered is usually caused by a division by zero somewhere in your expressions. In particular, if your conductivity expressions cannot be evaluated when the potential is constant (electric field is zero) you will encounter this problem already in the first solver iteration if your initial condition for the potential is constant. If you expect the electric field to be nonzero everywhere, you can try to use some approximation of the expected field as initial condition (e.g., use a solution obtained with fixed conductivity). You may also want to try modifying expressions, e.g., by adding small offsets in denominators. best regards Nils Malm COMSOL AB [/QUOTE]

Posted: 8 years ago 22.09.2016, 20:00 GMT-4
Hey John and Nils,

I would like to design a material just like you did long ago. I am doing simulation in time domain, where the material anisotropic conductivity depends on the electric field. Would you please suggest me how to define the anisotropic conductivity matrix in the material section ?

Moreover, my sigma depends on Ey and Ex, how can I define the dependency in time domain ? Please kindly let me know.

Thanks,
Rishad
Hey John and Nils, I would like to design a material just like you did long ago. I am doing simulation in time domain, where the material anisotropic conductivity depends on the electric field. Would you please suggest me how to define the anisotropic conductivity matrix in the material section ? Moreover, my sigma depends on Ey and Ex, how can I define the dependency in time domain ? Please kindly let me know. Thanks, Rishad

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.