Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

why the metal plate of a capacitor is defined to be made of air instead of being a kind of metal in "capacitance model 12689"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I was looking at the "computing capacitance" model 12689, and I figued out that the metal plate material is defined to be made of air.
Why we do not define the metal plate material as a kind of metal, and leave it to be built by air?!
The link to access the model is:

www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/12689/

4 Replies Last Post 20.09.2012, 10:03 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.09.2012, 09:29 GMT-4
Sarah,

in this electrostatic model the material doesn't really matter. The two plates are set to terminals at 0 and 1V and this and the geomertty are the only things that affect the field in the static case. Things get different in a non-stationary case and with currents. Then the conductivity must be assigned to the domains.

Cheers
Edgar
Sarah, in this electrostatic model the material doesn't really matter. The two plates are set to terminals at 0 and 1V and this and the geomertty are the only things that affect the field in the static case. Things get different in a non-stationary case and with currents. Then the conductivity must be assigned to the domains. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.09.2012, 09:54 GMT-4
Thanks Edgar,

if I want to consider the plate material as a parameter which affects the field, which model should I use?
Thanks Edgar, if I want to consider the plate material as a parameter which affects the field, which model should I use?

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.09.2012, 10:01 GMT-4
That depends on your model. If it is about low frequency AC you would probably choose emf, if high frequencies are involved you must switch to RF.
That depends on your model. If it is about low frequency AC you would probably choose emf, if high frequencies are involved you must switch to RF.

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.09.2012, 10:03 GMT-4
thanks alot for your help

thanks alot for your help

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.