Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol 4.2a, RF MODULE, PML

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I have question about this module which I uploaded.

Medium is air, substrate is glass, and I want to put some dipole on that glass. My question is about PML.

As I know, I should put always same material PML and adjoining medium becuase of the discontinuity in refractive indices.

But what to do with this configuration which I uploaded?

It is easy to set up one half of PML is medium, one half is substrate, but what will happened between two halves of the PML ? Does any of you done these simulations? Is there some strong influence of that on results??

Thank you for any answer.

4 Replies Last Post 21.09.2012, 04:11 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.09.2012, 03:57 GMT-4
Hi,

I would suggest to completely surround the substrate with the medium and keep a distance of at least a wavelength to the PML. And you can always try different setups and compare the results. That's the beauty of computer models, right?

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, I would suggest to completely surround the substrate with the medium and keep a distance of at least a wavelength to the PML. And you can always try different setups and compare the results. That's the beauty of computer models, right? Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.09.2012, 04:42 GMT-4

Hi,

I would suggest to completely surround the substrate with the medium and keep a distance of at least a wavelength to the PML. And you can always try different setups and compare the results. That's the beauty of computer models, right?

Cheers
Edgar

HEllo Edgar,

Thank you very much on answer.
I am new so I don't know yet for these tricks.

Regards,

Nikola

[QUOTE] Hi, I would suggest to completely surround the substrate with the medium and keep a distance of at least a wavelength to the PML. And you can always try different setups and compare the results. That's the beauty of computer models, right? Cheers Edgar [/QUOTE] HEllo Edgar, Thank you very much on answer. I am new so I don't know yet for these tricks. Regards, Nikola

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.09.2012, 16:36 GMT-4

It is easy to set up one half of PML is medium, one half is substrate, but what will happened between two halves of the PML ?

That's the right way to do it. It's not a problem to contact two PMLs with different materials.
[QUOTE] It is easy to set up one half of PML is medium, one half is substrate, but what will happened between two halves of the PML ? [/QUOTE] That's the right way to do it. It's not a problem to contact two PMLs with different materials.

Posted: 1 decade ago 21.09.2012, 04:11 GMT-4

It is easy to set up one half of PML is medium, one half is substrate, but what will happened between two halves of the PML ?

That's the right way to do it. It's not a problem to contact two PMLs with different materials.

Thank you very much Alexander on your answer, it is very very helpful.

Regards,

Nikola

[QUOTE] [QUOTE] It is easy to set up one half of PML is medium, one half is substrate, but what will happened between two halves of the PML ? [/QUOTE] That's the right way to do it. It's not a problem to contact two PMLs with different materials. [/QUOTE] Thank you very much Alexander on your answer, it is very very helpful. Regards, Nikola

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.