Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Charged Particle Tracing Equations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there a way that I can change the underlying equations for the Charged Particle Tracing Module? I have a constant electric field created, but instead of the particles passing through it feeling a force (and therefore accelerating) F= qE, I want to make it so that the particles' drift velocity is proportional to the electric field, v = cE.

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 08.08.2012, 03:29 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.08.2012, 03:29 GMT-4
So your particles are effectively massless, is that it? That is, you're not interested in how they acquire that velocity, just that they get up to speed in virtually no time. If so, you can set that property in the particle tracing module's top node (change "Formulation" from "Newtonian" to "Massless") and then enter the expression for their velocity in the "Particle Properties" subnode.
So your particles are effectively massless, is that it? That is, you're not interested in how they acquire that velocity, just that they get up to speed in virtually no time. If so, you can set that property in the particle tracing module's top node (change "Formulation" from "Newtonian" to "Massless") and then enter the expression for their velocity in the "Particle Properties" subnode.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.