Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About comparison of models

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using the "compare" function to compare two models with slightly different settings. However, I could not find any document about the difinition of "outgoing changes" and "incoming changes". What do these two terms mean?

3 Replies Last Post 05.04.2022, 05:18 GMT-4
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 28.03.2022, 11:03 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 05.04.2022, 08:11 GMT-4

Hi Junfeng,

I agree that it should be made more clear, and we will add more information to the documentation. Those terms are most relevant with the version handling and database support in the Model Manager that we have added in version 6.0.

Incoming changes here are changes that someone has made to the remote file since the last update of the local file. Such incoming changes will be merged to the local file during an update of that file. Outgoing changes are changes that someone has made to the local file and that has not been committed to the remote file yet. Such outgoing changes will be merged to the remote file during a commit of the file. The categorization of incoming and outgoing changes requires version information (available for models that use version control in the Model Manager). For models without version information the categorization has little meaning, and they both just represent a general difference.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Junfeng, I agree that it should be made more clear, and we will add more information to the documentation. Those terms are most relevant with the version handling and database support in the Model Manager that we have added in version 6.0. Incoming changes here are changes that someone has made to the remote file since the last update of the local file. Such incoming changes will be merged to the local file during an update of that file. Outgoing changes are changes that someone has made to the local file and that has not been committed to the remote file yet. Such outgoing changes will be merged to the remote file during a commit of the file. The categorization of incoming and outgoing changes requires version information (available for models that use version control in the Model Manager). For models without version information the categorization has little meaning, and they both just represent a general difference. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 2 years ago 04.04.2022, 15:10 GMT-4

Thank you so much! It is clear to now.

Thank you so much! It is clear to now.

Posted: 2 years ago 05.04.2022, 05:18 GMT-4

I was also looking for the same, Thanks for the answers.

I was also looking for the same, Thanks for the answers.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.