Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with model builder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am trying to build a model which comprises of a curved cylinder ( you can visualize is as a part of a helix or torus) and a cone. The major radius of the curved cylinder makes 80 degrees with its centre (see 1.gif attached). The cone is placed on top of the cylinder.

Now when I try to obtain the resonance frequency of the body, from the mode shape it appears that Comsol recognises the two domains to be disconnected. Can anyone help me with this.

It appears to be a very simple problem, but I am not able to solve it. Please help.

-Sankha

P.S: The center of the cone was obtained in the following way. I first defined a working plane on the slant plane of the cylinder and extruded a point from the centre of that plane. I measured the co-ordinates of this point. I used these coordinates as the centre of the cone. However, when I zoom in, I see that the planes of the cylinder and cone do not match perfectly (I have tried a lot to match the two by tuning the coordinates, but did not work).

4 Replies Last Post 26.07.2012, 11:03 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.07.2012, 16:12 GMT-4
Just attach your cone to the other end of torus where the coordinate of the center is exactly known.
Just attach your cone to the other end of torus where the coordinate of the center is exactly known.

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.07.2012, 17:49 GMT-4
Hello,

Thank you Alexander for replying. This is a small part of a big system I am trying to model and the model is such that I have to attach the cone to the 80 degree face of the hollow pipe.

Isn't there an easier way of solving this?

-Sankha
Hello, Thank you Alexander for replying. This is a small part of a big system I am trying to model and the model is such that I have to attach the cone to the 80 degree face of the hollow pipe. Isn't there an easier way of solving this? -Sankha

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.07.2012, 19:01 GMT-4
Method 1 (straight-forward approach)

1. Attach it to 0 degree face as I said
2. Create a union
3. Rotate the union around z-axis by 180 degrees
4. Rotate it again around y-axis by 80 degrees

Method 2 (involves algebra)
1. Use the following coordinates for the position of the cone: (-cos(10/180*pi),0,-sin(10/180*pi))
Method 1 (straight-forward approach) 1. Attach it to 0 degree face as I said 2. Create a union 3. Rotate the union around z-axis by 180 degrees 4. Rotate it again around y-axis by 80 degrees Method 2 (involves algebra) 1. Use the following coordinates for the position of the cone: (-cos(10/180*pi),0,-sin(10/180*pi))

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.07.2012, 11:03 GMT-4
Hello Alexander,

Thanks a lot. The second trick worked.

-Sankha
Hello Alexander, Thanks a lot. The second trick worked. -Sankha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.