Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem in the Joule heating analysis of a sample with a variable impedance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate the thermal runaway phenomenon of a conductor. I modified the electrical resistivity of the material in order to mimic the NTC behaviour as measured experimentally. At the right voltage applied the temperature start to increse exponentially due to the uncontrolled positive feedback. The problem is that the impedance of the sample is chaning during the test but the initial voltage applied remained constant. This mean that when the sample resistivity falls to very small values the current increases without limits. In the reality every power supply is characterized by a maximum current, when it is reached the voltage start to decrease due to the increasing conductivity of the material. How can I simulate this simple behaviour? I tried to impose a maximum power to the terminal, and an initial voltage, but in those condictions the simulation fails witouth reaching the convergence.

1 Reply Last Post 14.03.2022, 15:31 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago 14.03.2022, 15:31 GMT-4

Isacco,

this calls for adding circuit physics comprising the voltage source and a series resistor. You should find examples in the application library.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Isacco, this calls for adding circuit physics comprising the voltage source and a series resistor. You should find examples in the application library. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.