Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply a point load or line load on a specific point or line that I want to apply?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I am doing the lamb wave simulation in plate. Now I have difficulty to apply a point load (2D) or line load (3D) at a specific point or line at the boundary. Does anyone know to to apply it ?

Thanks,

Xiang

2 Replies Last Post 06.07.2012, 23:55 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.07.2012, 01:32 GMT-4
Hi

that is because that represents a sinulatities, and should normally be avoided, but its in there under Edge or Point sub list. Check the structural doc about point loads

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is because that represents a sinulatities, and should normally be avoided, but its in there under Edge or Point sub list. Check the structural doc about point loads -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.07.2012, 23:55 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,
Thanks for your reply. I can apply point load now. I define a five peak function (flc2hs(t,0)-flc2hs((t-5/20000),0))*(1-cos(2*pi*20000*t/5))*sin(2*pi*20000*t) as input. When I define the function as prescribed displacement, the results are good(five peak). (Time dependent, displacement response at different point of the plate.). However, when I define the function as point load, it seems the displacement can not response at different points of plate,(very small not five peak) even the displacement at apply load point does not correspond with the load function. I tried the same simulation in ANSYS, the displacement response results are good no matter the input is displacement or load.

Thanks,

Xiang
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your reply. I can apply point load now. I define a five peak function (flc2hs(t,0)-flc2hs((t-5/20000),0))*(1-cos(2*pi*20000*t/5))*sin(2*pi*20000*t) as input. When I define the function as prescribed displacement, the results are good(five peak). (Time dependent, displacement response at different point of the plate.). However, when I define the function as point load, it seems the displacement can not response at different points of plate,(very small not five peak) even the displacement at apply load point does not correspond with the load function. I tried the same simulation in ANSYS, the displacement response results are good no matter the input is displacement or load. Thanks, Xiang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.