Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Arc length

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I need to access the arc length as a function of time for a given curve in my simulation for post-processing purposes. Does anyone know the variable for that?

Best regards, NP

3 Replies Last Post 25.10.2021, 02:12 GMT-4
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 23.10.2021, 07:36 GMT-4

Perhaps an integration operator on the boundary and a new variable length=intop1(1).

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
Perhaps an integration operator on the boundary and a new variable length=intop1(1).

Posted: 3 years ago 23.10.2021, 09:45 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 25.10.2021, 19:44 GMT-4

Thank you for your reply! It partially solves the problem. In fact, I need to plot a quantity (and get data) along the arc length. Integrating using intop1(1) will return a single value (total length at a given time). COMSOL uses arc length as default for x-y plotting, but I need to access this variable since I have to modify it (getting a non dimensional parameter).

Thank you so much for your contribution!!

>Perhaps an integration operator on the boundary and a new variable length=intop1(1). Thank you for your reply! It partially solves the problem. In fact, I need to plot a quantity (and get data) along the arc length. Integrating using intop1(1) will return a single value (total length at a given time). COMSOL uses arc length as default for x-y plotting, but I need to access this variable since I have to modify it (getting a non dimensional parameter). Thank you so much for your contribution!!

Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 25.10.2021, 02:12 GMT-4

For all arc there is an inherent coordinate called 's' which runs from 0 to 1. You can use that to plot as a function of the arc length.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
For all arc there is an inherent coordinate called 's' which runs from 0 to 1. You can use that to plot as a function of the arc length.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.