Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to set a maximum temperature?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

In heat transfers of solids, the laser is heating the material, but the problem is that the temperature reaches above the evaporation temperature, which is not sufficient and good for my results, I want to introduce a maximum temperature which the material can not go higher than this temperature. Any ideas or tipps that I can use in order to do that?

Best Regards Omid

1 Reply Last Post 31.10.2021, 22:28 GMT-4
Amin Kazemi Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Toronto

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 31.10.2021, 22:28 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 31.10.2021, 22:35 GMT-4

I recommend you consider the real physic. In th heat Transfer module, right click on the solid node and select "Phase Change".

There you can set latent heat, phase change temperature, etc. Phase change requires a considerable amount of heat which leads to a slight change in the temperature of the system. This is for melting, which occures in the volume. If you want to impose an evaporation cooling, just add a negative heat flux at the boundary where evaporation takes place, since evaporation is a surface phenomenon.

Anyways, if you still need to set a cap on the temperature, I'm not sure how to do that. However, you may try something like: min(T,1000[K]). This ensures that the temperature is always below 1000K.

Hope this helps you.

Amin

I recommend you consider the real physic. In th heat Transfer module, right click on the solid node and select "Phase Change". There you can set latent heat, phase change temperature, etc. Phase change requires a considerable amount of heat which leads to a slight change in the temperature of the system. This is for melting, which occures in the volume. If you want to impose an evaporation cooling, just add a negative heat flux at the boundary where evaporation takes place, since evaporation is a surface phenomenon. Anyways, if you still need to set a cap on the temperature, I'm not sure how to do that. However, you may try something like: min(T,1000[K]). This ensures that the temperature is always below 1000K. Hope this helps you. Amin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.