Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

New to comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I got this error and the more information option on the error took me to a page that didn't have more information. I can see there is more to this error than 'undefined variable' but I don't actualy know what it is refferenceing. " Undefined variable. - Variable: comp1.solid.mises - Geometry: geom1 - Boundaries: 289-301 Failed to evaluate expression. - Expression: comp1.solid.mises - Plot: Surface 1 "

thank you for any consideration.

3 Replies Last Post 19.08.2021, 02:46 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 18.08.2021, 17:18 GMT-4

Hi Jacob,

All I can tell without seeing your .mph file is that your model is trying to evaluate the von Mises stress on boundaries 289 through 301, on which it is not defined properly. But you probably knew that already :). Please post your .mph file for -hopefully- more useful comments.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Jacob, All I can tell without seeing your .mph file is that your model is trying to evaluate the von Mises stress on boundaries 289 through 301, on which it is not defined properly. But you probably knew that already :). Please post your .mph file for -hopefully- more useful comments. Best, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 18.08.2021, 19:32 GMT-4

Absolutly right Jeff, a frustraited oversight on my part.

Absolutly right Jeff, a frustraited oversight on my part.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 19.08.2021, 02:46 GMT-4

Hi Jacob,

The reason for the error is that your Solid Mechanics physics interface isn't assigned to any domain. If you add Domain 1 (which I assume is the solid) to it, then the plot works. I'm not sure if that's the correct or way to set up the simulation that you had in mind, but it does at least fix the error.

Best,

Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hi Jacob, The reason for the error is that your Solid Mechanics physics interface isn't assigned to any domain. If you add Domain 1 (which I assume is the solid) to it, then the plot works. I'm not sure if that's the correct or way to set up the simulation that you had in mind, but it does at least fix the error. Best, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.