Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

measuring absorption of material using S parameter

Devika Kataria Electronics Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to measure absorption of a material in a rectangular block by using formula 1-S21^2. For simulation , i have used a rectangular geometry at top of which i have Port 1 and at bottom edge Port2 .The material inside the rectangle has n=1 and k=0.5 whereas outside the rectangle is air with n=1 and k=0. I tried to verify the result using Beer's formula ie., 1-exp(-4*pi*k*d/lamda).There is discrepancy of 10%. I need to understand ,why is there discrepancy in the simulation using S parameter and the calculation using Beer's law.

3 Replies Last Post 02.03.2015, 07:37 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.03.2012, 12:46 GMT-4
S11^2 is reflection, S21^2 is transmission. Absorption is 1-S11^2-S21^2.
S11^2 is reflection, S21^2 is transmission. Absorption is 1-S11^2-S21^2.

Devika Kataria Electronics Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 31.03.2012, 13:36 GMT-4
Thanxs Mr Alexander. I would also like to know why my answer using this formula does not match with Beer's law which says absorption=1-exp(-4*pi*k*d/lambda), k being extinction coefficient and d being distance travelled by light in medium with extinction coeff k.
Thanxs Mr Alexander. I would also like to know why my answer using this formula does not match with Beer's law which says absorption=1-exp(-4*pi*k*d/lambda), k being extinction coefficient and d being distance travelled by light in medium with extinction coeff k.

Posted: 9 years ago 02.03.2015, 07:37 GMT-5
Hello Alexander,
Do you know how to use S-parameter to get the absorption in each layer for a 5-layers structure? I set a port in each interface between layers. Only port 1 is on with 1W incident power. What can we get from the interface ports?
Hello Alexander, Do you know how to use S-parameter to get the absorption in each layer for a 5-layers structure? I set a port in each interface between layers. Only port 1 is on with 1W incident power. What can we get from the interface ports?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.