Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem when using "Remesh Deformed Configuration"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm running into problems when using the "Remesh Deformed Configuration" on a solution data set that contains results from a simulation including "moving mesh" and "solid mechanics" physics. A new mesh configuration is created but this is the original geometry and not the deformed one. As suggested eariler in the forum I've tried switching the order of the two physics in the model tree, although with the same result.

I've created a simple file to illustrate this problem and would be grateful with any ideas what causes this. I've seen in the forum that other people as well have encountered this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Wiktor

3 Replies Last Post 04.04.2016, 02:43 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Wiktor Stenström

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.07.2012, 07:12 GMT-4
Hey,

got in a simmilar way the same problem too!!

thx for Help
Andreas
Hey, got in a simmilar way the same problem too!! thx for Help Andreas

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.08.2012, 08:04 GMT-4
Hi Wiktor,

Do you fix your problem? I can't open your file, but I think if you want to see the deformed Mesh you need to plot it with a "Mesh" in the Result Zone with the last Solution.

I hope this help you.
Hi Wiktor, Do you fix your problem? I can't open your file, but I think if you want to see the deformed Mesh you need to plot it with a "Mesh" in the Result Zone with the last Solution. I hope this help you.

Posted: 8 years ago 04.04.2016, 02:43 GMT-4
Hi,

I've been grappling with this for a while and think I've got it sorted, mostly thanks Ivar's comments on a range of forums. Note I use 5.1, not 4.2, so the actual implementation could be slightly different for you.

Make sure your moving mesh is first in your list of physics nodes, first off. Once you solve for the solid mech, use that as an input into ALE (moving mesh), and make sure the various deformations are correct. From the data set node of that simulation, export the deformed configuration- it'll appear in your list of meshes. Right-click on it and export it to file. Load THAT into either a new geometry or your same geometry and disable the original (watch out, all your physics selections and meshing will now be screwed up!).

This will now be your deformed geometry, so mesh THAT and solve. Let me know if it works.

Note that I've tried numerous iterations of simpler combinations, like feeding in different solutions to each other on subsequent studies under the same solution nodeetc, but they never quite work right. This approach is really cumbersome but at least you get your deformed geometry.

Problem is that when you try to do parametric sweeps, you have to do one point at a time. Ideally, you'd run solid, then ALE and then whatever other physics floats your boat and it would actually deform the geometry and remesh between steps, but it doesn't appear to, at least from the results I get.

COMSOL guys- can you suggest a simpler approach to this that actually works? Anything that would streamline this would be great
Hi, I've been grappling with this for a while and think I've got it sorted, mostly thanks Ivar's comments on a range of forums. Note I use 5.1, not 4.2, so the actual implementation could be slightly different for you. Make sure your moving mesh is first in your list of physics nodes, first off. Once you solve for the solid mech, use that as an input into ALE (moving mesh), and make sure the various deformations are correct. From the data set node of that simulation, export the deformed configuration- it'll appear in your list of meshes. Right-click on it and export it to file. Load THAT into either a new geometry or your same geometry and disable the original (watch out, all your physics selections and meshing will now be screwed up!). This will now be your deformed geometry, so mesh THAT and solve. Let me know if it works. Note that I've tried numerous iterations of simpler combinations, like feeding in different solutions to each other on subsequent studies under the same solution nodeetc, but they never quite work right. This approach is really cumbersome but at least you get your deformed geometry. Problem is that when you try to do parametric sweeps, you have to do one point at a time. Ideally, you'd run solid, then ALE and then whatever other physics floats your boat and it would actually deform the geometry and remesh between steps, but it doesn't appear to, at least from the results I get. COMSOL guys- can you suggest a simpler approach to this that actually works? Anything that would streamline this would be great

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.