Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Regarding contour plot levels setting

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, Dear all and lvar,

When i am doing the postprocessing of data using contour plot, COMSOL allow me to have two option on the level, by default it use 20 number of levels in my case(as attachment 1) to represent the magnitude, but when i cannot see contour, then i change it to manual level (as attachment 2) use range(0,5,20).

I thought it is fine for long.But today i present it to my colleague, they ask me a question, what is your legend bar means?is it the highest is only 20?

May i know why i change level, the magnitude of bar also change accordingly?or i do something wrong?
I think is because i do not understand contour level plot

I find Documentation but it only teach how to do it.

"Under Levels, select an Entry method—Number of Levels or Levels for the contours.

- If Number of Levels is selected, enter the total number of levels in the Total levels field (the default is 5).

- If Levels is selected, enter the values for the contour Levels or click the Range button () to "

Any idea sharing?

1 Reply Last Post 05.10.2016, 10:59 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chiwei Ong

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 05.10.2016, 10:59 GMT-4
Hello,
In the documentation it says "For Contour plots, Directivity plots, Contour data sets, and Isosurface data sets, under Levels and from the Entry method list, select 'Number of Levels' or 'Levels.' If Number of Levels is selected, enter the total number of levels in the Total levels field (the default is 20 for plots and 5 for data sets). Otherwise, enter the values of the contour Levels or click the Range button to define a specific range of levels."

When using the 'Levels' settings, you are specifying the contour levels (in the same units you have specified under Expression > Units) that will be used in the plot.

Suppose you are plotting temperature (degC) in the contour plot, and the actual data ranges from 634 degC to 855 degC. Then you could specify Levels as "range(600,50,900)".
If you specify a range that includes only a part of the actual data range, COMSOL will "insert" the min or max temperature, or both, as necessary. For example, if you specify the range as "range(650,50,850)", then you will see levels of 634, 650, 700, 750, 800, 850, and 855 degC.

-DW

Hello, In the documentation it says "For Contour plots, Directivity plots, Contour data sets, and Isosurface data sets, under Levels and from the Entry method list, select 'Number of Levels' or 'Levels.' If Number of Levels is selected, enter the total number of levels in the Total levels field (the default is 20 for plots and 5 for data sets). Otherwise, enter the values of the contour Levels or click the Range button to define a specific range of levels." When using the 'Levels' settings, you are specifying the contour levels (in the same units you have specified under Expression > Units) that will be used in the plot. Suppose you are plotting temperature (degC) in the contour plot, and the actual data ranges from 634 degC to 855 degC. Then you could specify Levels as "range(600,50,900)". If you specify a range that includes only a part of the actual data range, COMSOL will "insert" the min or max temperature, or both, as necessary. For example, if you specify the range as "range(650,50,850)", then you will see levels of 634, 650, 700, 750, 800, 850, and 855 degC. -DW

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.