Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to implement massless formulation in particle tracing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Does anybody know how to implement mass-less formulation in the particle tracing module instead of drag force?

What is the boundary condition in this case?

Thanks

8 Replies Last Post 15.11.2013, 23:44 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.02.2012, 22:34 GMT-5
Set Formulation = Massless in the Formulation section of the settings under the Particle Tracing node.
Set Formulation = Massless in the Formulation section of the settings under the Particle Tracing node.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.02.2012, 23:06 GMT-5
Thank you.

Regarding the boundary condition , for drag force an additional drag force boundary condition is needed. What about boundary condition for mass-less?

Thanks
Thank you. Regarding the boundary condition , for drag force an additional drag force boundary condition is needed. What about boundary condition for mass-less? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.02.2012, 23:08 GMT-5
Thank you
Thank you

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.11.2013, 10:05 GMT-5
Dear all,

I'm trying to use particle tracing in a static mixer to simulate a mixing between 2 gases.
When I set Newtonian as formulation and bounce as wall condition I correctly find the particle trajectories at the outlet (Particle tracing bounce.png attached).

In every way to use this formulation i have to set particles diameter and density, but in my case i don't have solid particles in the flow.
I think that should be more correct to use the massless formulation.
However when i try to do it the particles don't leave the inlet section as they have no velocity (Particle tracing massless.png attached).

What is wrong with my model?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Raffaella
Dear all, I'm trying to use particle tracing in a static mixer to simulate a mixing between 2 gases. When I set Newtonian as formulation and bounce as wall condition I correctly find the particle trajectories at the outlet (Particle tracing bounce.png attached). In every way to use this formulation i have to set particles diameter and density, but in my case i don't have solid particles in the flow. I think that should be more correct to use the massless formulation. However when i try to do it the particles don't leave the inlet section as they have no velocity (Particle tracing massless.png attached). What is wrong with my model? Thank you in advance for your support. Raffaella

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.11.2013, 10:05 GMT-5
Dear all,

I'm trying to use particle tracing in a static mixer to simulate a mixing between 2 gases.
When I set Newtonian as formulation and bounce as wall condition I correctly find the particle trajectories at the outlet (Particle tracing bounce.png attached).

In every way to use this formulation i have to set particles diameter and density, but in my case i don't have solid particles in the flow.
I think that should be more correct to use the massless formulation.
However when i try to do it the particles don't leave the inlet section as they have no velocity (Particle tracing massless.png attached).

What is wrong with my model?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Raffaella
Dear all, I'm trying to use particle tracing in a static mixer to simulate a mixing between 2 gases. When I set Newtonian as formulation and bounce as wall condition I correctly find the particle trajectories at the outlet (Particle tracing bounce.png attached). In every way to use this formulation i have to set particles diameter and density, but in my case i don't have solid particles in the flow. I think that should be more correct to use the massless formulation. However when i try to do it the particles don't leave the inlet section as they have no velocity (Particle tracing massless.png attached). What is wrong with my model? Thank you in advance for your support. Raffaella

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.11.2013, 10:17 GMT-5
Dear Raffaella,

The Particle Velocity is probably set to the default 0 values under the Particle Properties node. Set the velocity to u, v, w or whatever variable names you are using for the fluid-flow.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Raffaella, The Particle Velocity is probably set to the default 0 values under the Particle Properties node. Set the velocity to u, v, w or whatever variable names you are using for the fluid-flow. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.11.2013, 11:23 GMT-5
Hi Nagi,
thank you for your reply. As you suggested the velocity was set to zero.
Using the velocity components the particles leave the inlet section but they stop as they arrive on the first element because the wall condition is set to freeze. (Image attached)

In the massless formulation i can not set the bounce condition.

Which kind of post processing do you suggest to highlight the particle paths from the inlet towards the outlet?

Thank you for the support.

Raffaella

Dear Raffaella,

The Particle Velocity is probably set to the default 0 values under the Particle Properties node. Set the velocity to u, v, w or whatever variable names you are using for the fluid-flow.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Hi Nagi, thank you for your reply. As you suggested the velocity was set to zero. Using the velocity components the particles leave the inlet section but they stop as they arrive on the first element because the wall condition is set to freeze. (Image attached) In the massless formulation i can not set the bounce condition. Which kind of post processing do you suggest to highlight the particle paths from the inlet towards the outlet? Thank you for the support. Raffaella [QUOTE] Dear Raffaella, The Particle Velocity is probably set to the default 0 values under the Particle Properties node. Set the velocity to u, v, w or whatever variable names you are using for the fluid-flow. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.11.2013, 23:44 GMT-5
Hi Raffaella,

What you probably need is a much smaller time step size for the particle tracing solver, not a bounce condition.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Raffaella, What you probably need is a much smaller time step size for the particle tracing solver, not a bounce condition. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.