Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solar radiation modeling for transparent surfaces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model solar radiation exposure and heat transfer in a window system. I have tried surface to surface radiation, but not sure if this is the correct approach consdering the transparency of glass. What other physics could I apply in this case to model solar transmission and heat transfer in a transparent window?

1 Reply Last Post 18.06.2020, 11:23 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 18.06.2020, 11:23 GMT-4

Hi Shahrzad,

Do you really need to model what is happening inside the window, or you only care about the fraction of light that comes through?

See this answer as to why the first option is so much harder than the second one.

Hi Shahrzad, Do you really need to model what is happening **inside** the window, or you only care about the fraction of light that comes through? See [this answer](https://physics.stackexchange.com/a/267799) as to why the first option is so much harder than the second one.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.