Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Determing the hydraulic diameter of a non-circular channel

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am quite familier with comsol, and i have a question in the field of microfluids. I am trying to simulate a microchannel which does not have circular cross section. Is there a way or an approach that i can find the hydraulic diameter of such a channel ?

I want the to know the hydraulic diameter to be able to calculate the pressure drop across this channel.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 25.07.2019, 07:06 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 25.07.2019, 04:43 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 25.07.2019, 04:39 GMT-4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_diameter

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL

Posted: 5 years ago 25.07.2019, 07:06 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 25.07.2019, 07:58 GMT-4

Hello Mr. Henrik,

Well my question was a little bit deeper than the wiki page can explain. I am working with a laminar flow in microchannels, and the cross section area is not circular, not rectangular, not square, and not annulus. So the the simple equations provided is not suitable.

My question was, is there a way that i can calculate the hydraulic diameter by maybe varying the Inlet BC velocity or playing with the drop pressure at the vents ?

For example, if i am trying to simulate a rectangular cross section channel. I can calculate the hydraulic diamater of this channel theoritically through the equations provided. Can i validate this value in comsol by way or another ?

Many thanks inadvance.

Hello Mr. Henrik, Well my question was a little bit deeper than the wiki page can explain. I am working with a laminar flow in microchannels, and the cross section area is not circular, not rectangular, not square, and not annulus. So the the simple equations provided is not suitable. My question was, is there a way that i can calculate the hydraulic diameter by maybe varying the Inlet BC velocity or playing with the drop pressure at the vents ? For example, if i am trying to simulate a rectangular cross section channel. I can calculate the hydraulic diamater of this channel theoritically through the equations provided. Can i validate this value in comsol by way or another ? Many thanks inadvance.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.