Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Split a surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
Anyone knows how I can split a surface or a solid to some sub-elements?
I made a pipe in 3D and know I want to slice outer layer of the pipe into some clickable elements. I made a work plane as the cutting surface of the pipe. But still I could not split it. Does anyone know a good book for geometrical drawing with COMSOL?

thank you in advanced,
Sam

3 Replies Last Post 30.08.2013, 18:39 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.11.2011, 09:51 GMT-5
I have attached a file in ver41 that has a couple different techniques. Hopefully this is what you want. It is relatively simple.

There really are no books on dwg within comsol. It is something that you learn by doing. Download as many example files you can to learn from those.
I have attached a file in ver41 that has a couple different techniques. Hopefully this is what you want. It is relatively simple. There really are no books on dwg within comsol. It is something that you learn by doing. Download as many example files you can to learn from those.

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.11.2011, 04:47 GMT-5
Thank you Dennis.
I was in the COMSOL class recently so I got how I should do that for some cases!.
But for people who do not know and want to know I can mention:

In 2D case:

If for example you draw a line which is intersects with another line. COMSOL still knows them as two separated objects. One way two split it to four different parts (based on how many intersection we have you can have more splitting sections) is making them Union from Boolean operation which means that COMSOL knows all of the selected graphics as one global object and then you can select split menu. In this case COMSOL automatically split the object based on number of the intersections.

For 3D I do not know a global way to split up and irregular surface easily. But if you extrude something from 2D the solution is very easy. You can extrude the shape by inserting multiple values in "Distances from work plane" in the extrude section

Good luck everybody!

Thank you Dennis. I was in the COMSOL class recently so I got how I should do that for some cases!. But for people who do not know and want to know I can mention: In 2D case: If for example you draw a line which is intersects with another line. COMSOL still knows them as two separated objects. One way two split it to four different parts (based on how many intersection we have you can have more splitting sections) is making them Union from Boolean operation which means that COMSOL knows all of the selected graphics as one global object and then you can select split menu. In this case COMSOL automatically split the object based on number of the intersections. For 3D I do not know a global way to split up and irregular surface easily. But if you extrude something from 2D the solution is very easy. You can extrude the shape by inserting multiple values in "Distances from work plane" in the extrude section Good luck everybody!

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.08.2013, 18:39 GMT-4
Thank you very much Dennis.
Thank you very much Dennis.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.