Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inserting pressure boundary load on Pressure Acoustics or Solid Mechanics?

Paulo Fernando Villafañe Garcia

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone!

I'm modelling a simple emitter-receiver ultrasonic system with a cylindrical sample between the transducers. I'm using independent Pressure Acoustics interface on the emission and reception transducers (composed of piezo disc, backing and steel cap) and I'm using Ultrasound (CWE) interface for the sample. The piezo elements domains are not included in the Pressure Acoustics interfaces since they are defined as piezoelectric materials in their respective Solid Mechanics interfaces. Each of these 3 interfaces have a Study branch related to it:

Pressure Acoustics 1 (emitter) ---> Study 1 (generalized alpha, strict stepping)

CWE (sample) ---> Study 2 (discontinuous Galerkin with Runge-Kutta 4th order)

Pressure Acoustics 2 (receiver) ---> Study 3 (generalized alpha, strict stepping)

I applied pressure boundary load on the receiving transducer Pressure Acoustics interface and on the sample Ultrasound interface in order to simulate the propagation of pressure wave from one interface to the other (I'm using 'withsol' and 'setval' in order to use the solutions from previous Study). However I didn't apply pressure boundary load on the receiving piezo element on its Solid Mechanics interface because I thought it was not necessary since I applied Acoustic-Structure coupling on the Multiphysics interface for the piezo receiver domain boundaries.

My doubt is: if I apply pressure boundary load on Pressure Acoustics interface, is it necessary to also apply on the Solid Mechanics interface?

0 Replies Last Post 01.01.2019, 09:19 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Paulo Fernando Villafañe Garcia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.