Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

HE and EH modes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hy guys,

is there any difference between EH and HE modes in the Hybrid Mode Waves application mode?
When I choose Hybrid Mode Waves what kind of modes I´ll get ? EH or HE?
Depend this on the choice of "solved for: magnetic field (electric field)" in the physical settings?

Many Thanks in advance
Susette

2 Replies Last Post 07.05.2015, 03:41 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 31.08.2011, 05:07 GMT-4
Really nobody?
This can´t be!
Really nobody? This can´t be!

Posted: 9 years ago 07.05.2015, 03:41 GMT-4
Hey,

It's like this: the TE-like modes having the main E field component (but not only) along the x axis (parallel to the surface) and the quasi-TM or TM-like modes are referred to as Ey_mn having Ey as the major component of the E field (perpendicular to the surface).
To get a feeling for this mode behavior and the range of your effective indices you can analytically calculate the wanted effective refractive indices by ERIM (effective refractive index method) cos here you need the distinction between the two polarization states. Anyhow, before you calculated your field distribution by COMSOL you need to selected proper boundary conditions depending on what you want to know. In the Model Builder in the setting section I selected in the section “Electric field components solved for: three component vector”. This choice determines what polarizations can be handled (we want TE and TM so we need all components). Now, how to distinguish between TE an TM polarization in COMSOL?
As you can see, I solved a 2DIM waveguide with a core of 1.97, air cladding and sio2 box layer on a Si substrate. I've used Electromagnetic Waves - Frequency Domian - Mode analysis.
For plotting this field distribution I’ve selected the Ex component to plot the TE polarization and the Ey component (for the specific effective index) for the TM mode.
This is identical with the explanation before.
However, the obtained field profiles of the fundamental TE and TM modes clearly show that the fundamental TE mode is characterized by much higher field intensity at the side walls (as well as a higher refractive index), whilst the TM mode has much higher amplitude at the top and bottom interface.

many regards
susette
Hey, It's like this: the TE-like modes having the main E field component (but not only) along the x axis (parallel to the surface) and the quasi-TM or TM-like modes are referred to as Ey_mn having Ey as the major component of the E field (perpendicular to the surface). To get a feeling for this mode behavior and the range of your effective indices you can analytically calculate the wanted effective refractive indices by ERIM (effective refractive index method) cos here you need the distinction between the two polarization states. Anyhow, before you calculated your field distribution by COMSOL you need to selected proper boundary conditions depending on what you want to know. In the Model Builder in the setting section I selected in the section “Electric field components solved for: three component vector”. This choice determines what polarizations can be handled (we want TE and TM so we need all components). Now, how to distinguish between TE an TM polarization in COMSOL? As you can see, I solved a 2DIM waveguide with a core of 1.97, air cladding and sio2 box layer on a Si substrate. I've used Electromagnetic Waves - Frequency Domian - Mode analysis. For plotting this field distribution I’ve selected the Ex component to plot the TE polarization and the Ey component (for the specific effective index) for the TM mode. This is identical with the explanation before. However, the obtained field profiles of the fundamental TE and TM modes clearly show that the fundamental TE mode is characterized by much higher field intensity at the side walls (as well as a higher refractive index), whilst the TM mode has much higher amplitude at the top and bottom interface. many regards susette

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.