Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Printing the equations list

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Is there a way, in Comsol 4.1 to copy paste the equation list (the one you get after enabling the option 'Show Equation View')?

I am working on the hyperelastic model, and I wanted to read the different equations implemented in Comsol. But the view is really user-UNfriendly, and I am fed up to scroll for hours. So I wanted to print them.

Any solution?

7 Replies Last Post 22.09.2014, 04:38 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.04.2011, 08:34 GMT-4
Hi

Unfortunately not to my knowledge.
I would really have appreciated to be at least able to sort them by name, and to copy one name into the clipboard by a double click or a right click, as this is the best place to catch the desired variable when digging deeper into the physics.

I assume the reason is that COMSOL does not want everyone "just" to copy and remake the modules, as these equations are the main drivers for the physics behind. The nice thing is that they are made visible, and you can edit and adapt them, which is not the case for other FEM software I know. So it's easy to update our physics this way.

If there had been less "hackers" out here, I suppose quite some software would be different ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Unfortunately not to my knowledge. I would really have appreciated to be at least able to sort them by name, and to copy one name into the clipboard by a double click or a right click, as this is the best place to catch the desired variable when digging deeper into the physics. I assume the reason is that COMSOL does not want everyone "just" to copy and remake the modules, as these equations are the main drivers for the physics behind. The nice thing is that they are made visible, and you can edit and adapt them, which is not the case for other FEM software I know. So it's easy to update our physics this way. If there had been less "hackers" out here, I suppose quite some software would be different ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.04.2011, 04:39 GMT-4
Well Ivar, you are quite right.

It's true, that only a 'copy/paste' option would have been great. It's sad, because I had to write down several equations with comsol names ... which is not the quickest way to do progress ;-D

I hope there would be some new feature in the coming versions (I will submit it straight away to the support).

Thanks again for your time.
Well Ivar, you are quite right. It's true, that only a 'copy/paste' option would have been great. It's sad, because I had to write down several equations with comsol names ... which is not the quickest way to do progress ;-D I hope there would be some new feature in the coming versions (I will submit it straight away to the support). Thanks again for your time.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.04.2011, 06:28 GMT-4
I believe the new report generator in version 4.2 will do what you want.
I believe the new report generator in version 4.2 will do what you want.

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.04.2011, 06:34 GMT-4
Fine! I am waiting for it then :-D
Fine! I am waiting for it then :-D

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2012, 22:04 GMT-4
Unfortunately, 4.2a remains the same for this issue.
Unfortunately, 4.2a remains the same for this issue.

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2012, 22:27 GMT-4
What about 'print screen' and pasting the equation as image?
;-)
What about 'print screen' and pasting the equation as image? ;-)

Posted: 10 years ago 22.09.2014, 04:38 GMT-4
This is possible using an AutoHotkey script I posted here: evgeni.org/oldfish/Top_nine_hints_for_working_with_Comsol#Equation_View

Ivar, I'll have to disagree — making some text non-editable or non-sortable does not prevent "hackers" from accessing it, it only prevents users like me and you, whose Comsol experience would be slightly enriched if they could. It's simply the default behaviour of the API that Comsol user interface has been implemented with, and I'm sure that eventually (and with people continuing to ask for new features) we may see these nice-to-haves being implemented.
This is possible using an AutoHotkey script I posted here: http://evgeni.org/oldfish/Top_nine_hints_for_working_with_Comsol#Equation_View Ivar, I'll have to disagree — making some text non-editable or non-sortable does not prevent "hackers" from accessing it, it only prevents users like me and you, whose Comsol experience would be slightly enriched if they could. It's simply the default behaviour of the API that Comsol user interface has been implemented with, and I'm sure that eventually (and with people continuing to ask for new features) we may see these nice-to-haves being implemented.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.