Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Energy conservation in heat & mass transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi !

I've currently work on a transicient 2D model with heat & mass transfer with a heat source drived by dilluted specie concentration (moisture in air flow).

In a 1st step I've validated the output results with experimental results. But, in a second step, when I want validate it with an energy conservation calculation (https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-calculate-mass-conservation-and-energy-balance/), the results don't match.

I calculate the following global evaluation values: ht.dEi0Int, ht.ntefluxInt, ht.QInt. I arrange them to calculate the "error": ht.dEi0Int + ht.ntefluxInt - ht.QInt = error. And I divide this error to obtain an relative error: (ht.dEi0Int + ht.ntefluxInt - ht.QIn) / ht.QInt ; or (ht.dEi0Int + ht.ntefluxInt - ht.QIn) / ht.ntefluxInt .

I would like obtain an error bellow 1%. But even with the following options, my error is to hight: - strongly coupled solver with the calcul of the Jacobian matrix at every time step; - time step max = 1h (I simulate between 0 and 600h); - solver and Jacobian tolerence about 1e-4. Also my meshing is very tight and to increase the mesh number don't change the results.

Someone has an idea about ameliorations and options to abtain an error below 1%?

Thank you in advance :)

Alex

0 Replies Last Post 27.02.2018, 11:15 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alexandre Malley

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.