Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I solve a PDE with variable coefficients?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, this post will be so brief. I would like to know if the module "Coefficient form of PDE can be applied for variable coefficient case. I mean , coefficients which depend on the field variable. For instance:

The coefficients Xc and and Dc depend on the field variable .

Thanks

5 Replies Last Post 02.03.2018, 01:52 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 26.02.2018, 08:15 GMT-5

Yes. Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Yes. Jeff

Posted: 6 years ago 27.02.2018, 22:26 GMT-5
Updated: 6 years ago 27.02.2018, 22:36 GMT-5

Yes. Jeff

Hello Jef, thanks for your reply. I am having problems with this module. My problem consist of two domains, where the aforementioned equation is applied. Such that, we are going to have D_{c}1X_{c}1 and D_{c}2X_{c}2 respectively. Consequently, in the Coefficient Form PDE1 module, i set this a=f====0, d_{a}=X_{c}1 y c=Dc1*Xc1 .

Unfortunately, I am getting the following error message

• Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Undefined variable.

• Variable: Dc2
    • Geometry: geom1
    • Domain: 2 Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression.
    • Expression: dvol_spatial(Xc2(-(Dc2*comp1.ux))) Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression.
    • Expression: (Xc2(-comp1.uttest(comp1.u)-Dc2comp1.uxtest(comp1.ux)))*(dvol_spatial)

where Dc1 has been defined as Analytic function module. Any suggestion? Thanks

>Yes. >Jeff Hello Jef, thanks for your reply. I am having problems with this module. My problem consist of two domains, where the aforementioned equation is applied. Such that, we are going to have D_{c}1X_{c}1 and D_{c}2X_{c}2 respectively. Consequently, in the Coefficient Form PDE1 module, i set this a=f=\alpha=\beta=\gamma=0, d_{a}=X_{c}1 y c=Dc1*Xc1 . Unfortunately, I am getting the following error message - Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Undefined variable. - Variable: Dc2 - Geometry: geom1 - Domain: 2 Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression. - Expression: dvol_spatial*(Xc2*(-(Dc2*comp1.ux))) Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression. - Expression: (Xc2*(-comp1.ut*test(comp1.u)-Dc2*comp1.ux*test(comp1.ux)))*(dvol_spatial) where Dc1 has been defined as Analytic function module. Any suggestion? Thanks

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 28.02.2018, 08:33 GMT-5

Hello Julio, Please contact Technical Support at support@comsol.com. We'll need to look at your file. Best, Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Julio, Please contact Technical Support at support@comsol.com. We'll need to look at your file. Best, Jeff

Posted: 6 years ago 01.03.2018, 02:56 GMT-5

I have already sent an email to the support staff, I look forward to hearing from a sooner reply. Thanks

I have already sent an email to the support staff, I look forward to hearing from a sooner reply. Thanks

Posted: 6 years ago 02.03.2018, 01:52 GMT-5

Hi I think that comsol is not updating the values of the coefficients of my PDE because the profile are almost the same at different moments. Any suggestions??

Hi I think that comsol is not updating the values of the coefficients of my PDE because the profile are almost the same at different moments. Any suggestions??

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.