Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Changing porous electrode to surface electrode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In the application gallery of Comsol, there is one example of a 2D model of all-vanadium redox flow battery (https://www.comsol.com/model/vanadium-redox-flow-battery-14153). In this example, in both sides (anode and cathode) we have porous electrodes and hence the porous electrode within tertiary current distribution has been used. Now, I want to change this for a system that only has a porous electrode in one side. Thus, in this model, I disabled the porous electrode module in the negative half-cell and instead use the surface electrode+electrolyte to model the negative half-cell with the electrochemical reaction occuring on the surface of the electrode. However, when I make this change, I can no longer get any results (error says Undefined value found in the equation residual vector), which probably means there is a problem in the boundary conditions. I could not find anything wrong with the bcs. Does anyone know what could cause this problem? changing the porous electrode to surface electrode should be straightforward and I cannot see the problem.

0 Replies Last Post 25.02.2018, 17:39 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kiana Amini

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.