Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

creating geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,
I want to create a geometry which is a straight cylindrical duct with openings(ie.,circular holes) provided at some locations in the curved cylindrical wall. Basically the purpose is to simulate a fluid flow in which main flow is entering through one end of duct and leaving through the other end. The circular openings are for providing suction and blowing through some specified locations in the curved surface.
Can anyone suggest how to make openings in a duct for this purpose.

Thanks in advance!

SM Ananth

5 Replies Last Post 01.10.2016, 07:57 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.04.2011, 07:45 GMT-4
Hi

design intersecting cylinders, then make an "union" with "imprints" and a "split", then remove any entity needed

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi design intersecting cylinders, then make an "union" with "imprints" and a "split", then remove any entity needed -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.04.2011, 14:28 GMT-4
Dear sir,
I designed the intersecting cylinders,then united both and created imprints. But I couldn't remove the boundaries(appearing inside the domain of the other cylinder) of the penetrating part of one cylinder on the other.So kindly suggest me how to do that..

thanks

SM Ananth
Dear sir, I designed the intersecting cylinders,then united both and created imprints. But I couldn't remove the boundaries(appearing inside the domain of the other cylinder) of the penetrating part of one cylinder on the other.So kindly suggest me how to do that.. thanks SM Ananth

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.04.2011, 16:12 GMT-4
Hi

I'm not sure I have managed what you want, and 3.5 is getting old and complex, once used to v4 ;)

I made a 3D model (no physics), added a workplane and draw a circle, that I revolve as an U pipe, then I draw/define another straight cylinder that intersects the U pipe and enters into the U pipe volume, without going through, I then do an union Compose object of the U pipe and the cylinder, but KEEPING the interiour boundaries. Then perform a split to obtain 3 volumes, you the recompose the U pipe with it's hole and the cylinder part with an Union (this time DO NOT KEEP the interiour boundaries) you have now two items. You might delete the remaining straight pipe and you end up with the U pipe and the boundary section.

Is this what you wanted ? the annoying thing, I cant remember (if even possible) how to back up one step, when you do something wrong in V3.5

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I have managed what you want, and 3.5 is getting old and complex, once used to v4 ;) I made a 3D model (no physics), added a workplane and draw a circle, that I revolve as an U pipe, then I draw/define another straight cylinder that intersects the U pipe and enters into the U pipe volume, without going through, I then do an union Compose object of the U pipe and the cylinder, but KEEPING the interiour boundaries. Then perform a split to obtain 3 volumes, you the recompose the U pipe with it's hole and the cylinder part with an Union (this time DO NOT KEEP the interiour boundaries) you have now two items. You might delete the remaining straight pipe and you end up with the U pipe and the boundary section. Is this what you wanted ? the annoying thing, I cant remember (if even possible) how to back up one step, when you do something wrong in V3.5 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 23.06.2013, 01:18 GMT-4
Hi All,

I started using the software. I am almost done with the geometry however I have some problems defining my boundary conditions. Basically, I have a cross junction geometry. I am using a syringe pump to enter the fluid from right path and using another pump to suck the liquid from the left hand path. My down path is closed and the upward path is open to air. Can anyone tell me what is the best condition for the inlet and outlet which can simulate the performance of the syringe pumps (Specially about the suction part)? Also, could you please help me about the boundary condition of the upward path which is open to air?

Thanks,

Amir
Hi All, I started using the software. I am almost done with the geometry however I have some problems defining my boundary conditions. Basically, I have a cross junction geometry. I am using a syringe pump to enter the fluid from right path and using another pump to suck the liquid from the left hand path. My down path is closed and the upward path is open to air. Can anyone tell me what is the best condition for the inlet and outlet which can simulate the performance of the syringe pumps (Specially about the suction part)? Also, could you please help me about the boundary condition of the upward path which is open to air? Thanks, Amir

Posted: 8 years ago 01.10.2016, 07:57 GMT-4
Can you explain how to give suction condition in rotating two concentrate sphere.
Thank you.
Can you explain how to give suction condition in rotating two concentrate sphere. Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.