Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Lumped ports - how to use with real conductors

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
rather a novice I'm afraid and trying to simulate a simple split ring resonator . thats a metal ring with a cut that makes it look like a letter "C" I would like to excite this by imposing a voltage across the gap. I'm using a copper ring in my simulations. How can I connect a lumped port to this ?
the documenation on lumped ports says they have to be put between two electrically conductive faces. I've setup ,y geometry and defined the strucure using copper as a material - generally a very conductive metal in my experience.
I've selected the two opposing facets , facing one another across the gap in the 'C' and yet, I get the error message :

Uniform lumped port should be placed between two conductive boundaries.
- Feature: Type: Lumped Port

So this package thinks copper is not conductive ??? can anyone explain what I am doing wrong here ?

1 Reply Last Post 10.09.2017, 00:33 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 10.09.2017, 00:33 GMT-4
Lumped ports can be a bit picky. Try setting those two faces on your "C" as perfect conductors (PEC condition), not just copper. It still might not work for a number of other reasons... but with this change, it will be more likely to work.
Lumped ports can be a bit picky. Try setting those two faces on your "C" as perfect conductors (PEC condition), not just copper. It still might not work for a number of other reasons... but with this change, it will be more likely to work.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.