Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

CFD & Heat transfer analysis of disc brake. Multiphysics Simulaton, Conjugate heat transfer with turbulent flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to simulate CFD of disc brake to understand the airflow and how it affects the cooling of the disc brake. I am using Conjugate heat transfer module with turbulent flow. I made a basic geometry of disc and hub.

I am attaching the model below.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Abdul Haq

2 Replies Last Post 05.09.2017, 12:48 GMT-4

Posted: 7 years ago 05.09.2017, 06:19 GMT-4
Just from a quick glance:

Can you argue on why you assume the flow to be turbulent?

Maybe consider switching to a low Re turbulence model, eg. SST, in case of flow separation over the curvature. Also, it does not look like there is a boundary layer mesh on the disk+shaft; I would really suggest building one.

I also think you might have put the wrong sign on the inlet velocity.

Best regards
Philip
Just from a quick glance: Can you argue on why you assume the flow to be turbulent? Maybe consider switching to a low Re turbulence model, eg. SST, in case of flow separation over the curvature. Also, it does not look like there is a boundary layer mesh on the disk+shaft; I would really suggest building one. I also think you might have put the wrong sign on the inlet velocity. Best regards Philip

Posted: 7 years ago 05.09.2017, 12:48 GMT-4
I was considering the flow to be turbulent due to the air flow. I mean, the car average speed is 30 mph, thus I was considering that.

I would do as you said.

thanks a lot.
I was considering the flow to be turbulent due to the air flow. I mean, the car average speed is 30 mph, thus I was considering that. I would do as you said. thanks a lot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.