Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling heat transfer in gas under injection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I am using Comsol V5 and I'm trying to simulate gas storage in cavities. The problem is on a lab scale, so it's a cylindrical model of 1m height and 0.36m diameter with temperature gradient on it's upper and lower boundaries, I then will be injecting fluid from a nozzle at the top.

On the license I am using, I have the packages of laminar flow and heat transfer in fluid (nitrogen in this case). I've been trying to simulate the pressure increase due to injection and the temperature profile development. I don't have the CFD package, I have been able to retrieve the experimental average pressure profile, but the temperature profile is way below the experimental results. While investigating that, I have noticed that if I use isolated boundaries for heat q=0, the temperature doesn't increase at all due to increasing pressure, obviously, there's no term of p in the energy equation?

However, in real gas behaviour T increases with p, do you have any suggestions? Do you think I can simulate that with these packages or I have to have the CFD package? What can I do to make T increase with p?

Attached is a simplified mesh version of my model .mph

Thanks in advance

0 Replies Last Post 19.07.2017, 03:23 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Franck Edwad

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.