Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Infinite elements - Cylindrical coordinates

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am using the AC/DC, Electric currents (ec) physics and I have problems with the infinite elements domain in the cylindrical coordinates.

I know the cylinder domain for the infinite elements should envelop the cylinder domain used for simulation and i tried to put the whole at different coordinates (I centered it on 0,0,0 for example) but it never works.

I managed to use infinite elements in cartesian and spherical coordinates so I do not get why it does not work in cylindrical coordinates.

Regards,

Antonin

2 Replies Last Post 10.07.2017, 04:49 GMT-4
Magnus Olsson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 06.07.2017, 05:10 GMT-4
Updated: 7 years ago 06.07.2017, 06:09 GMT-4
Dear Antonin,

You do not state whether you are using cylindrical infinite elements in 2D, 2D axisymmetry or in 3D. The details are different dependent on which of those cases that applies.

2D: The cylindrical infinite elements should be applied to an outer annular region that can be created using the "Layers" setting of the circle feature or using concentric circles. That is it applies to a geometry that extrudes to a cylinder in 3D.

2D axisymmetry: Cylindrical infinite elements should be applied to the rightmost rectangular region and (optionally) to the top and bottom (and "corner") rectangular regions. In the geometry, you can use the "Layers" setting of the rectangle and square features. N.B. If your geometry outline is a semicircle, you should use spherical infinite elements for the outermost spherical layer - cylindrical infinite elements can only be used on geometry fetures that correspond to (revolves to) a cylinder in 3D!

3D: Apply cylindrical infinite elements to outermost cylindrical layers and top/bottom layers (and intersections between those). You can again use the Layers setting in the cylinder geometry feature to create the necessary domains.

So beware that the choice of Cartesian, cylindrical or spherical infinite elements depends on the shape of your corresponding 3D geometry outline (box, cylinder, sphere). It has no formal connection whatsoever to what base coordinate system your geometry is using (though obviously Cartesian will never apply in 2D axisymmetry and spherical will never apply in planar 2D for obvious reasons).

--
Magnus
Dear Antonin, You do not state whether you are using cylindrical infinite elements in 2D, 2D axisymmetry or in 3D. The details are different dependent on which of those cases that applies. 2D: The cylindrical infinite elements should be applied to an outer annular region that can be created using the "Layers" setting of the circle feature or using concentric circles. That is it applies to a geometry that extrudes to a cylinder in 3D. 2D axisymmetry: Cylindrical infinite elements should be applied to the rightmost rectangular region and (optionally) to the top and bottom (and "corner") rectangular regions. In the geometry, you can use the "Layers" setting of the rectangle and square features. N.B. If your geometry outline is a semicircle, you should use spherical infinite elements for the outermost spherical layer - cylindrical infinite elements can only be used on geometry fetures that correspond to (revolves to) a cylinder in 3D! 3D: Apply cylindrical infinite elements to outermost cylindrical layers and top/bottom layers (and intersections between those). You can again use the Layers setting in the cylinder geometry feature to create the necessary domains. So beware that the choice of Cartesian, cylindrical or spherical infinite elements depends on the shape of your corresponding 3D geometry outline (box, cylinder, sphere). It has no formal connection whatsoever to what base coordinate system your geometry is using (though obviously Cartesian will never apply in 2D axisymmetry and spherical will never apply in planar 2D for obvious reasons). -- Magnus

Posted: 7 years ago 10.07.2017, 04:49 GMT-4
Thank you for your detailed answer!
Thank you for your detailed answer!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.