Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Material change | Event handler | heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Community,

I'm trying to improve my first simulation of an injection mold. In the simulation I'm studying the heat flow within the injection mold. For that I have the plastic article as a solid domain inside the cavity and with the ODE explicit Event I'm changing the temperature every 25 seconds to 533 K to simulate the injection of new molten plastic. This cyclical heat injection works very well and all other components work too.

But I have problems in simulating the ejection of the plastic article. After the molten plastic is injected und cooled, the article gets ejected.
In order to simulate this event I tried to switch the domain material to "air" and switching it back to "polycarbonate" after 4 seconds. This should simulate the heat transfer situation in the time when there is no plastic inside the cavity. Probleme here is that I can't configure the explicit event to do so. I guess the only variable that can be used there is the temperature "T". I also tried a piecewise function for the polycarbonate material properties rho, Cp and k but I didn't get it to work.

Is there a way to switch the material properties over time (rho, Cp, k) or do someone know an even better way to simulate the ejection process and the hollow cavity?

Thank you very much for support.

Best rigards
MHüttemann

0 Replies Last Post 29.04.2017, 05:11 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello M. Huettemann

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.