Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing ASCII Geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am completely new to Comsol so I really am struggling.

Can anybody explain how I can import some flat panel polygons I have defined as a series of x, y, z position vectors in ASCII into a Comsol file geometry.

I have used Matlab to create some CAD dfx files and tried doing an import. Everything looks like it is going fine then just get a "no geometry imported" error message. (See attached screenshot)

I also have Matlab LiveLink.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

5 Replies Last Post 24.03.2017, 06:24 GMT-4

Posted: 7 years ago 16.03.2017, 21:06 GMT-4
Do you have the ECAD module? For some reason I can't import .dxf files either, but as a workaround I open them in KLayout (www.klayout.de/build.html) and save it as .gds which I can import into COMSOL.
Do you have the ECAD module? For some reason I can't import .dxf files either, but as a workaround I open them in KLayout (http://www.klayout.de/build.html) and save it as .gds which I can import into COMSOL.

Posted: 7 years ago 23.03.2017, 05:36 GMT-4
Sadly I don't have any ECAD software, only Matlab. Thanks for your reply anyway.
Sadly I don't have any ECAD software, only Matlab. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Lorant Olasz COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 23.03.2017, 08:46 GMT-4
Hi David,

From the error message it seems that you have not selected the check box for importing Curves and points in the Settings window for the Import feature.

Another approach, which will not require a CAD format such as DXF, would be to export the point coordinates to a text file, and in the COMSOL Multiphysics model use the Polygon feature with the Data source set to File.

Best regards,
Lorant
Hi David, From the error message it seems that you have not selected the check box for importing Curves and points in the Settings window for the Import feature. Another approach, which will not require a CAD format such as DXF, would be to export the point coordinates to a text file, and in the COMSOL Multiphysics model use the Polygon feature with the Data source set to File. Best regards, Lorant

Posted: 7 years ago 23.03.2017, 09:31 GMT-4
Thanks.
Thanks.

Posted: 7 years ago 24.03.2017, 06:24 GMT-4
That seems to have done the trick, never would have spotted that without your help.
That seems to have done the trick, never would have spotted that without your help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.