Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of the joule heating of thin metal layers

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

is there any possibility to simulate the joule heating of metal structures with a very high aspect ratio?
I tried a simple example with a copper block with a length of 10mm (y-direction), a width of 10µm (x-direction), and a thickness of 1µm (z-direction) (see attached file).
This corresponds to the an aspect ratio 10000:10:1! A normal current density of 2e8A/m² was applied on one boundary in y-direction. The mesh of the copper block was "Free Tetrahedral" with scaled geometry: x-direction scale = 100, y-direction scale = 1, z-direction scale = 1000. This simulation works correct and results in a realistic voltage drop of 33mV and maximum temperature increase of 20K.
But if I reduce the thickness of the copper block down to 100nm or less, I can't find any way to simulate without this error:
"Failed to find a solution.
Divergence of the linear iterations.
Returned solution is not converged."
(setting mesh scaling: x-direction scale = 100, y-direction scale = 1, z-direction scale = 10000)

physics: Joule Heating (jh)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Christoph

0 Replies Last Post 23.09.2016, 11:16 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Christoph Langer

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.