Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to plot a cylinder flat.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a cylinder rotated about the z-axis, with a pressure on the surface (the model is based of the journal bearing model) and would like to plot the pressure as a function of rotation angle and height (z) imposed on a flat surface (imagine the cylinder being opened up to form a flat plate from 0-360 degrees)

How would I go about doing this? I can get the pressure on the cylinder using a 3d surface plot, but how would i make this same plot a 2D image.

Cheers,

Ben

3 Replies Last Post 19.09.2016, 11:34 GMT-4
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 25.08.2016, 11:17 GMT-4
Benjamin,

To plot variable as a function of rotation angle and height:
1. Under Data Sets, create Surface 1 node and select cylindrical surfaces
2. Add 2D Plot Group/Surface node and reference Surface 1 data set
3. To control view scale of your (phi,z) plot, use View 2D/Axis and set View scale to Manual

Regards,
Sergei
Benjamin, To plot variable as a function of rotation angle and height: 1. Under Data Sets, create Surface 1 node and select cylindrical surfaces 2. Add 2D Plot Group/Surface node and reference Surface 1 data set 3. To control view scale of your (phi,z) plot, use View 2D/Axis and set View scale to Manual Regards, Sergei

Posted: 8 years ago 19.09.2016, 11:04 GMT-4
Hi Sergei,

Thanks for the reply.
The surface is made up of 4 surfaces (quarter for each surface) so when I plot them this way, each surface is just plotted on top of each other.
I tried to set the scale to the z and angle, but as they aren't a parameter (and cant be) it wont plot.

Am I missing something?
The model is similar to the journal bearing model in the model library if that helps.

Cheers,
Ben
Hi Sergei, Thanks for the reply. The surface is made up of 4 surfaces (quarter for each surface) so when I plot them this way, each surface is just plotted on top of each other. I tried to set the scale to the z and angle, but as they aren't a parameter (and cant be) it wont plot. Am I missing something? The model is similar to the journal bearing model in the model library if that helps. Cheers, Ben

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 19.09.2016, 11:34 GMT-4
Ben,

Steps to plot flat cylinder are shown in the attached png and mph files.

Regards,
Sergei
Ben, Steps to plot flat cylinder are shown in the attached png and mph files. Regards, Sergei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.