Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inductance and capacitance from complex impedance solution in RF module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was wondering if there is any way of backing out a value for inductance and capacitance between two ports/ lumped ports in the RF module (specifically, in the emw frequency domain solver). The module can calculate a complex valued impedance, however, I can't figure out how to back out specific values of capacitance and inductance from the imaginary component of the impedance.

I can provide a file if necessary, but the setup is very simple. Just some arbitrary geometry separating two lumped ports from which I retrieve an impedance value. The impedance has some imaginary component with a negative part associated with capacitance, and a positive part associated with inductance, but since they are summed together I am not sure how/if I can extract those values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Reply Last Post 21.07.2016, 08:34 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 21.07.2016, 08:34 GMT-4
Are you asking if there is a built in way to do this? I don't think so with comsol but if you have the real/imag parts you can come up with equivalent R+jX and R-jX circuits, both series and parallel representations.

For instance if the program gives you an impedance of say 11.3 + j56 ohms at 400MHz, you can directly calculate the series RL circuit by using XL=2*pi*f*L and backing out L by direct substitution. In this case you would get an answer of: re = 11.3 im = 22.28nH

In order to come up with a parallel representation of the same circuit you can use the following formulas:
1) Rp = Rs * (1+Q^2)

2) Xp = Xs * (1/(1/Q^2))

where Q = abs(im)/re

Using the above example of 11.3 + j56 @ 400Mhz gives a parallel circuit: 289ohms || 23.2nH

These formulas can be entered into comsol. Also, there is a program called appcad (developed by HP/Agilent but now looks to be maintained by Avago) and it has a very nice calculator that does what I showed above. In the program go to ENG tools > complex math RF calculator. Just pay attention to the frequency being used. Does quite a few neat calculations.
Are you asking if there is a built in way to do this? I don't think so with comsol but if you have the real/imag parts you can come up with equivalent R+jX and R-jX circuits, both series and parallel representations. For instance if the program gives you an impedance of say 11.3 + j56 ohms at 400MHz, you can directly calculate the series RL circuit by using XL=2*pi*f*L and backing out L by direct substitution. In this case you would get an answer of: re = 11.3 im = 22.28nH In order to come up with a parallel representation of the same circuit you can use the following formulas: 1) Rp = Rs * (1+Q^2) 2) Xp = Xs * (1/(1/Q^2)) where Q = abs(im)/re Using the above example of 11.3 + j56 @ 400Mhz gives a parallel circuit: 289ohms || 23.2nH These formulas can be entered into comsol. Also, there is a program called appcad (developed by HP/Agilent but now looks to be maintained by Avago) and it has a very nice calculator that does what I showed above. In the program go to ENG tools > complex math RF calculator. Just pay attention to the frequency being used. Does quite a few neat calculations.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.