Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating heat leaing into system

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a system which contains liquid nitrogen surrounded by isolating material and I want to calculate the heat leaking into the stystem.

- I build my stystem with the appropiate thermal conductivities
- Simulated the contact with the surrounding air using the "convective Heat flux" boudary condition
- And gave the nitrogen a temperature of 77K using the "temperature" boudary condition

I compute using a "Stationary" study step and afterwards I try to calculate the heat leakage using a surface integration of the flux over the outside of my system (using expression ht.tfluxMag).

However the result from this integration is not what I would expect. It seems to depend on the surface I chose to integrate over (my isolation consists of different layers). This is strange since the heat leaking into the outer boundaries of my system should be equal to the heat leaking into the nitrogen itself?

Does anybody know what goes wrong?
I am new to COMSOL, so any tip may be helpfull!

Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post 01.07.2016, 07:21 GMT-4
François Mandias COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 01.07.2016, 07:21 GMT-4
HI Bumblebee...

I suggest you address your post directly to: support@comsol.com

Best,
François Mandias
HI Bumblebee... I suggest you address your post directly to: support@comsol.com Best, François Mandias

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.