Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Join two Cut Point 3D datasets

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have two component models which have slightly different geometries (they only differ in a PML domain). I have created a Cut Point 3D dataset as a group of discrete points in a plane for each of these models and now I'm interested in joining the Cut Point 3D datasets in order to compare the difference. This should be in principle possible since both datasets have the same discrete points. I know this is possible with two "continuous" datasets, however, as I have understood it, the two models must have the exact same geometry.

By the way, is there a way to visualize a Cut Point 3D dataset as a surface plot?

All of this would be very helpful to minimize the time spent exporting/importing data for post-processing.

Thanks in advance,
Elias

2 Replies Last Post 28.06.2016, 11:13 GMT-4
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 27.06.2016, 08:50 GMT-4
Hi,

The approach with a Join data set to join two Cut Point 3D data set works fine. Use an Explicit method in the Join data set; you can then evaluate the difference in each point using

data1(u1)-data2(u2)

if the dependent variables are called u1 (in the first geometry) and u2 (in the second geometry).

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, The approach with a Join data set to join two Cut Point 3D data set works fine. Use an Explicit method in the Join data set; you can then evaluate the difference in each point using data1(u1)-data2(u2) if the dependent variables are called u1 (in the first geometry) and u2 (in the second geometry). Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 8 years ago 28.06.2016, 11:13 GMT-4
Magnus,

Thanks for your response. I have managed to change the mesh settings and avoided the need for a second component model. In this way I have preserved the same geometry and can both join the datasets and visualize their difference.

Best regards,
/E
Magnus, Thanks for your response. I have managed to change the mesh settings and avoided the need for a second component model. In this way I have preserved the same geometry and can both join the datasets and visualize their difference. Best regards, /E

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.