Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with moving mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I'm trying to build a 2d-axis model of laser heating process, which will melt the powder bed.

The free-surface will deform according to the surface tension and mass loss due to vaporization. Here I use the ALE moving mesh to account the free-surface deformation. I set the boundary condition so that the mesh displacement happens on the boundary at the top. And the axis boundary on the left side only has displacement in z-direction.

But I encounter a strange problem of mesh deformation. As shown in the figure, the mesh will cross the axis boundary. A series of strange mesh deformation happened. However, I have set the mesh displacement of the axis boundary to zero at r-direction. Sometimes, this kind of mesh deformation also happens on the boundary of the right side, whose mesh displacement is also zero in r-direction.
I have no idea how this problem happens.

I'm sure all the domain, boundary conditions are propre.

Have this kind of problem happened to you in ALE moving mesh modeling.

Thank you for your response.

Chaoyue CHEN

2 Replies Last Post 07.10.2016, 05:11 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Beyond Chan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 27.07.2016, 09:01 GMT-4
Hi Chen,

how did you implement surface tension in your model?

Best regards
Marcel
Hi Chen, how did you implement surface tension in your model? Best regards Marcel

Posted: 8 years ago 07.10.2016, 05:11 GMT-4
Sorry for the late response

The surface tension term can be added in the Fluid-Fluid Interface, or the External Fluid Interface according to your model.

Sorry for the late response The surface tension term can be added in the Fluid-Fluid Interface, or the External Fluid Interface according to your model.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.