Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Create a PCB layer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I want to creat a PCB layer in COMSOL Multyphysics. The PCB layer contains copper and FR4 overlaping each other 4 times. The layers are about 100 micro-meter thick. How should I build this geometry in the best way? Should a make thin cylinders on top of each other or is there any other tool I can use?

Best regards

Maria

1 Reply Last Post 16.06.2016, 10:25 GMT-4
Niklas Rom COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 16.06.2016, 10:25 GMT-4
Hi Maria,
in PCB design, one option is to use dedicated software for the geometrical design. COMSOL can import the design with the ECAD Import Module. You can choose which layer should have a thickness represented in geometry, and which should be simulated as thin layers. It depends on what happens in each part. Often FR4 is insulating and a little thicker and can thus be represented with a geometrical thickness, while copper is much thinner and is simulated as a thin layer, not having the thickness represented in the geometry. Of course you can draw the geometry in COMSOL yourself if you want.
kind regards
Niklas

Hi!

I want to creat a PCB layer in COMSOL Multyphysics. The PCB layer contains copper and FR4 overlaping each other 4 times. The layers are about 100 micro-meter thick. How should I build this geometry in the best way? Should a make thin cylinders on top of each other or is there any other tool I can use?

Best regards

Maria

Hi Maria, in PCB design, one option is to use dedicated software for the geometrical design. COMSOL can import the design with the ECAD Import Module. You can choose which layer should have a thickness represented in geometry, and which should be simulated as thin layers. It depends on what happens in each part. Often FR4 is insulating and a little thicker and can thus be represented with a geometrical thickness, while copper is much thinner and is simulated as a thin layer, not having the thickness represented in the geometry. Of course you can draw the geometry in COMSOL yourself if you want. kind regards Niklas [QUOTE] Hi! I want to creat a PCB layer in COMSOL Multyphysics. The PCB layer contains copper and FR4 overlaping each other 4 times. The layers are about 100 micro-meter thick. How should I build this geometry in the best way? Should a make thin cylinders on top of each other or is there any other tool I can use? Best regards Maria [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.