Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flow without a channel (outlet)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am having trouble modeling a flow in which there is no defined outlet. For example, imagine 2 hair dryers perpendicular to each other blowing air to a plate. There is an inlet, hair dryer's nozzle, but there is not an specific outlet because its an open system, without a channel for the fluid to flow.

I tried to model that using many outlets instead of not pointing any, but it did not work for laminar flow. Should I use turbulent flow instead? Which type? If the air being blew is cooling the plate, which boundary should be the outflow?

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 23.06.2016, 16:37 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 23.06.2016, 16:37 GMT-4
I could figure out some of the problems we were having, but even though I ask for 5 minutes of time-dependent analysis, the solver stops on 0.2235123s without giving any error message or anything. I believe the physics are right but I am not entirely sure. We were using a time step of 1 second, and maybe it is too big. We are testing with a new, smaller, time step. Can anyone help with that problem?
I could figure out some of the problems we were having, but even though I ask for 5 minutes of time-dependent analysis, the solver stops on 0.2235123s without giving any error message or anything. I believe the physics are right but I am not entirely sure. We were using a time step of 1 second, and maybe it is too big. We are testing with a new, smaller, time step. Can anyone help with that problem?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.