Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of crack propagation using mixed mode intensity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I have read 2 following documents that related to crack propagation.

www.comsol.com/model/mixed-mode-debonding-of-a-laminated-composite-19961
www.comsol.com/model/single-edge-crack-988

The examples talk about the first mode of crack propagation and they based on symmetric plane. I am thinking that if we can implement a procedure by using mixed mode intensity (K1, K2) a crack propagate in an arbitrary direction. On this condition, do you think that it is possible to simulate a crack propagation in an arbitrary direction with COMSOL? If so, do you have any idea on how to implement the problem? In fact I want to solve a poroelasticity problem which I have a porous media and the pressure is supplying by fluid pumping. But I have some problem in my example and it does not show a proper result.

2 Replies Last Post 24.05.2016, 12:34 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 24.05.2016, 01:45 GMT-4
Hi,

There is no easy way to do this with built-in features.

If you are going to model a crack path which is not known in advance, it will be rather difficult. You will need to take control over the whole process yourself, probably by using the Matlab API. That would mean generating new geometry and mesh, mapping results between solution steps etc.

Another idea could be to use level set or phase field appoaches in some way.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, There is no easy way to do this with built-in features. If you are going to model a crack path which is not known in advance, it will be rather difficult. You will need to take control over the whole process yourself, probably by using the Matlab API. That would mean generating new geometry and mesh, mapping results between solution steps etc. Another idea could be to use level set or phase field appoaches in some way. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago 24.05.2016, 12:34 GMT-4
Thank you so much Henrik.
Thank you so much Henrik.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.