Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solidworks import via CAD Import Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Folks,

It seems as though the CAD Import module cannot import Solidworks 2016 files, but LiveLink for SolidWorks can... is that a correct understanding?

I am just about to have my SolidWorks installation updated, but won't go for SolidWorks 2016 if the CAD Import Module does not support SolidWorks 2016 yet... (I do not have the LiveLink for SolidWorks module).

Could someone confirm the above?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

p.s. I have Comsol 5.2.0.220

p.p.s. The reason I ask is because there is ambiguity in the Product System Requirements, both the CAD Import module and the LiveLink for SolidWorks tables indicate support only up to SolidWorks 2015, yet the text in the LiveLink product page indicates support for SolidWorks 2016. Clarification greatly appreciated...

6 Replies Last Post 09.03.2017, 09:43 GMT-5
Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 05.05.2016, 08:51 GMT-4
Hello Mark,

You are correct, the CAD Import Module can read SOLIDWORKS® (.sldprt, .sldasm) versions 98-2015, as listed here: www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/

If you do have the LiveLink for SOLIDWORKS® then you can also work with, via the bi-directional CAD link, SOLIDWORKS® (.sldprt, .sldasm) 2015, 2016 files. Keep in mind that, if you do want the bi-directional link, you have to have both softwares running at the same time.

With the CAD Import Module you are also able to import many other CAD file formats, such as Parasolid® (up to V28) or STEP (AP203, AP214), and you should be able to write one of these two file formats out from SOLIDWORKS® 2016, if you do want to work with that version.

Best Regards,
Walter
Hello Mark, You are correct, the CAD Import Module can read SOLIDWORKS® (.sldprt, .sldasm) versions 98-2015, as listed here: https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/ If you do have the LiveLink for SOLIDWORKS® then you can also work with, via the bi-directional CAD link, SOLIDWORKS® (.sldprt, .sldasm) 2015, 2016 files. Keep in mind that, if you do want the bi-directional link, you have to have both softwares running at the same time. With the CAD Import Module you are also able to import many other CAD file formats, such as Parasolid® (up to V28) or STEP (AP203, AP214), and you should be able to write one of these two file formats out from SOLIDWORKS® 2016, if you do want to work with that version. Best Regards, Walter

Posted: 8 years ago 05.05.2016, 09:17 GMT-4
Thanks for the clarification Walter...

That link you provided had correct information. My initial query came about because of a discrepancy on the following page:

www.comsol.com/livelink-for-solidworks#specs

The text at the top of this page states 2015 and 2016, but the table at the bottom of the page only states 98-2015, (I have highlighted this on the attached pdf). Might just want to update the table to avoid confusion ;-)

Thanks again for the speedy response.

Mark
Thanks for the clarification Walter... That link you provided had correct information. My initial query came about because of a discrepancy on the following page: https://www.comsol.com/livelink-for-solidworks#specs The text at the top of this page states 2015 and 2016, but the table at the bottom of the page only states 98-2015, (I have highlighted this on the attached pdf). Might just want to update the table to avoid confusion ;-) Thanks again for the speedy response. Mark

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 06.05.2016, 13:22 GMT-4
Hello Mark,
The text at the top of the page in your pdf talks about the bidirectional interface capability of LiveLink for SolidWorks (which allows the synchronization of a geometry between COMSOL and SolidWorks), whereas the table at the bottom of the page talks about its file import capability. Both statements are accurate, and consistent with Walter's answer above.
As a side note, we anticipate that the CAD Import Module and LiveLink for CAD products will support the SolidWorks version 2016 file format in our next release, 5.2a. Stay tuned, as they say.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Mark, The text at the top of the page in your pdf talks about the bidirectional interface capability of LiveLink for SolidWorks (which allows the synchronization of a geometry between COMSOL and SolidWorks), whereas the table at the bottom of the page talks about its file import capability. Both statements are accurate, and consistent with Walter's answer above. As a side note, we anticipate that the CAD Import Module and LiveLink for CAD products will support the SolidWorks version 2016 file format in our next release, 5.2a. Stay tuned, as they say. Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 09.05.2016, 02:10 GMT-4
Hi Jeff,

I see, sorry for the confusion, that makes perfect sense now. I think I will go ahead and get 2016 installed and live with the export of a neutral file type as an intermediate step to get the geometry into Comsol until 5.2a is released.

Thanks for the clarification.

Mark
Hi Jeff, I see, sorry for the confusion, that makes perfect sense now. I think I will go ahead and get 2016 installed and live with the export of a neutral file type as an intermediate step to get the geometry into Comsol until 5.2a is released. Thanks for the clarification. Mark

Posted: 7 years ago 09.03.2017, 09:37 GMT-5
Hi all,

I am using Creo to open a Solidworks file (I am not sure what version) and then I export it as a step file.

When I try to import it to Comsol, I receive an error message saying: "No entities to be converted".

Has anyone already faced this problem?

Thanks.

Regards,

Pavlos.
Hi all, I am using Creo to open a Solidworks file (I am not sure what version) and then I export it as a step file. When I try to import it to Comsol, I receive an error message saying: "No entities to be converted". Has anyone already faced this problem? Thanks. Regards, Pavlos.

Posted: 7 years ago 09.03.2017, 09:43 GMT-5
Problem solved!

I created a step file, opened it in Creo and created another step file from this one.

Cheers,

Pavlos.
Problem solved! I created a step file, opened it in Creo and created another step file from this one. Cheers, Pavlos.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.