Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Acceleration on Cantilever

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Would you guys please suggest me how can I apply Acceleration on PZT Cantilever? I want to calculate Output voltage

2 Replies Last Post 28.04.2016, 00:09 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 27.04.2016, 12:43 GMT-4
Hi

it depends how you see your model: normally one think a beam "fixed" to an object being accelerated (where is the absolute inertial frame ?), but one can turn it around and say a beam absolutely "fixed", undergoing a body load (type gravity acceleration) of known amplitude or random average amplitude scanned over a frequency.

But if you apply a acceleration to an object "fixed" then you ask for an impossibility at the "fixed region". Furthermore, if you apply a 1/2 sine shock acceleration impulse to an object, it will continue to "fly" away at constant speed once the impulse is over, for such a case you cannot "fix" it but probably using the traditional "big mass" approach to attach the object to a large mass and accelerate the large mass (with your small beam attached), at a Force amplitude corresponding to the sum of both masses.

"There are many ways to Rome", for acceleration loads too, but some are simpler to model than others, all depends what exactly you are looking for ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it depends how you see your model: normally one think a beam "fixed" to an object being accelerated (where is the absolute inertial frame ?), but one can turn it around and say a beam absolutely "fixed", undergoing a body load (type gravity acceleration) of known amplitude or random average amplitude scanned over a frequency. But if you apply a acceleration to an object "fixed" then you ask for an impossibility at the "fixed region". Furthermore, if you apply a 1/2 sine shock acceleration impulse to an object, it will continue to "fly" away at constant speed once the impulse is over, for such a case you cannot "fix" it but probably using the traditional "big mass" approach to attach the object to a large mass and accelerate the large mass (with your small beam attached), at a Force amplitude corresponding to the sum of both masses. "There are many ways to Rome", for acceleration loads too, but some are simpler to model than others, all depends what exactly you are looking for ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 28.04.2016, 00:09 GMT-4
Hey Ivar! I am working on a Cantilever which is fixed from one side. I want to apply acceleration on whole body from Z direction. How can I do that?
Hey Ivar! I am working on a Cantilever which is fixed from one side. I want to apply acceleration on whole body from Z direction. How can I do that?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.